With deep appreciation for the generosity and commitment of our benefactors, hundreds of students and scholars in all parts of the world working in many disciplines of Ukrainian studies have benefited from the grants, scholarships, and fellowships awarded annually by the Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies. These awards were made possible by donations from individuals and organizations that place a high value on education and have deep respect for their Ukrainian heritage. Endowments are crucial to the support of CIUS activities. We thank all our donors for their generosity and trust in CIUS to make their dreams and wishes a reality. Endowments are listed in order of establishment. Only accrued income is used to fund projects, scholarships, grants, and subsidies.
Established in September 1986 with bequests from the estates of George Deba (Vancouver) and Katherine Miskew (Edmonton), as well as many contributions from individuals and organizations in Canada and the United States. Income from the fund supports a broad range of CIUS projects and activities. In April 1996, a $10,000 bequest from the estate of Steven Kobrynsky of Canora, Saskatchewan, established the Steven Kobrynsky Memorial Scholarship, awarded every two years to an undergraduate who excels in the study of the Ukrainian language.
Established in November 1986 with a bequest from the estate of Professor Volodymyr Kubijovyč and matched two-to-one by the Government of Alberta. Initially, income helped fund the Entsyklopediia ukraïnoznavstva, the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, and the Shevchenko Scientific Society branch in Sarcelles, France. The fund supports encyclopedia projects of CIUS.
Established in December 1986 by Petro Malofij as the Marusia Onyshchuk and Ivanko Kharuk Memorial Endowment Fund and renamed in 2011. Income from the fund provides scholarships for students from the Sniatyn region studying at Chernivtsi National University in the fields of history, political science, law, and economics.
This endowment was established by Stephania Bukachevska-Pastushenko at the Canadian Foundation for Ukrainian Studies (CFUS) in Toronto with an initial gift of $100,000. In January 1987 CFUS transferred the funds to CIUS, and they were matched two-to-one by the government of Alberta. Income from the fund supports archival research, cataloguing of existing collections, and publication of research aids.
This fund, established by the Ukrainian Professional and Business Club of Edmonton in April 1987 and matched two-to-one by the government of Alberta, made it possible for the Ukrainian Language Education Centre (ULEC) to undertake its activities. Income is used to fund the development, publication, and implementation of the Nova resource series for students and teachers in bilingual schools. It also funds the professional development of teachers.
Established by Daria Mucak-Kowalsky and Michael Kowalsky (1908–2000) of Toronto in December 1987 to fund academic research, scholarships, and scholarly publications. The Government of Alberta matched the initial donation of $100,000 two-to-one. In 1998–2000, the Kowalskys increased the capital of their endowment by $1,650,000 and redirected it to use for the newly established Kowalsky Program for the Study of Eastern Ukraine. This includes funding for the Kowalsky Program for the Study of Eastern Ukraine, founded at the V. N. Karazyn National University of Kharkiv in 2000.
Established in June 1988 with a $10,000 bequest, which was matched two-to-one by the government of Alberta, from the estate of Petro Czornyj (Toronto). Initially income from the fund supported work on the Encyclopedia of Ukraine; today it provides grants to scholars from Ukraine.
Established in June 1988 by individual contributions from members of a private Toronto investment club. The initial donation of $33,500 was later augmented by club members and matched two-to-one by the government of Alberta. Income from the fund supports scholarly publications in Ukrainian studies.
Established by Peter Jacyk (1921–2001) of Mississauga, Ontario, in June 1988; his initial contribution of $1,000,000 was matched two-to-one by the government of Alberta. Accrued interest supports the Peter Jacyk Centre for Ukrainian Historical Research at CIUS. Its major project is the English translation of Mykhailo Hrushevsky’s fundamental ten-volume History of Ukraine-Rus'. Research grants are also awarded to scholars in Ukrainian studies.
Established in July 1988 with a $350,000 bequest from the estate of Eudokia Stasiuk (Toronto) and matched two-to-one by the Government of Alberta, the fund supported the Stasiuk Program for the Study of Contemporary Ukraine and CIUS publications. The fund continues to support research through grants and fellowships
Established by Anna and the late Nikander Bukowsky (Saskatoon) in November 1988 with an initial donation of $10,000; augmented by $50,000 in February 1993 and $51,200 in May 1994. Until 1996, accrued interest supported scholarly research and publications in Ukrainian and Ukrainian Canadian studies. At the request of the donor, the fund now supports the Research Program on Religion and Culture (formerly the Ukrainian Church Studies Program).
Established by Wasyl and Halyna (née Khomyn) Salomon (Toronto) in December 1988 in memory of their relatives Nestor Salomon and Zenovia Salomon (née Lopushanskyi), the fund supports Ukrainian and Ukrainian-Canadian studies and the Ukrainian Language Education Centre.
Established by Ivan Juchymenko (Islington, Ontario) in January 1989 to fund scholarly research in Ukrainian history, with emphasis on the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
Established by Alexander and Helen Kulahyn (Sardis, B.C.) in May 1989 to provide research grants and scholarships to junior and senior scholars in the field of Ukrainian legal studies.
Established by Dmytro Stepovyk (Kyiv) in May 1989 to fund scholarly research and publications in Ukrainian art history.
Established by Dr. Vlas Darcovich (Edmonton) in July 1989 in memory of his wife, Helen (Olena), née Michalenko. Proceeds from the fund support Ph.D. students writing dissertations on a Ukrainian or Ukrainian Canadian topic in pedagogy, history, law, the humanities and social sciences, women’s studies, or library science. A minimum of one doctoral fellowship is awarded annually.
Established by Dr. Myroslawa Iwanciw (née Mysko) of Elmwood Park, Illinois, in August 1989. Until 2001, income funded a scholarly exchange between York University (Toronto) and an institution in Ukraine. It now funds scholarships for students at the Kyiv Mohyla Academy National University.
Established by individual donors from all parts of Canada in November 1989. The fund was created to foster the development of academic exchanges with Ukraine.
Established by the late Michael Dorosh (Toronto) in November1989 to provide fellowships for students pursuing a master’s degree in Ukrainian and Ukrainian Canadian studies. A minimum of one fellowship is awarded annually.
Established by Petro (1916–2008) and Ivanna Stelmach (1924–2008), Mississauga, in November 1989 to provide research grants and scholarships in Ukrainian studies. Since 1993, the fund has been used to support the Institute for Historical Research at the Ivan Franko National University of Lviv. Two annual scholarships for history students at Lviv National University were initiated in 1995.
Established by Dr. Oleh Zujewskyj (1920–1996) of Edmonton in December 1989 to support the publication of literary works by Ukrainian writers living outside Ukraine.
Established by the late Tymofij and Evhenia Taborowskyj (Toronto) in April 1990 to fund the research and publication of works by scholars in Ukrainian and Ukrainian Canadian studies.
This fund was originally established in May 1990 as the Ukraine Exchange Fellowship Endowment Fund by the late John Kolasky (Surrey, B.C.), Pauline and the late Peter Kindrachuk (Vernon, B.C.), and the late William and Justine Fedeyko (St. Albert, Alberta), and many organizations and individuals from across Canada. It provides fellowships for Ukrainian scholars and professionals to conduct research and study in Canada.
Established by the late Dr. Vasil Kravcenko (Hanover, Germany) in February 1991 to fund scholarships and research grants for scholars in Ukrainian studies.
Established by Jaroslawa and Sonia Peczeniuk (Sudbury, Ontario) in December 1991 to provide research grants for scholars in Ukrainian and Ukrainian Canadian studies.
Established by Myron Dylynsky (Toronto) in December 1991. Until 2007, the endowment also received matching funds from Xerox Canada. The fund provides research or publication grants in Ukrainian studies to scholars affiliated with academic, cultural, and educational institutions in Lviv.
Established in December 1992 by Maria Diakunyk (Kitchener, Ontario) and her three children, Dr. Bohdan Klid (Edmonton), Myroslav Klid (Mississauga, Ontario), and Maria Zadarko (Kitchener) to fund fellowships and research grants in Ukrainian studies.
Established in April 1995 with a bequest from the estate of Teodota Klym (Edmonton). The fund supports CIUS scholarly activities, including fellowships, publications, and the organization of conferences, primarily in co-operation with Chernivtsi National University named after Yurii Fed'kovych.
Formerly named the Ukrainian Church Studies Program Endowment Fund. This fund was established in November 1995 with a bequest from the estate of Harry Bratkiw (Edmonton) and donations from St. John’s Fraternal Society (Edmonton) and St. Andrew’s College (Winnipeg). The fund offers fellowships, supports independent research, and facilitates research and publication by scholars in the field of religious studies.
This fund, originally named the Ostap Teofil Shwed Memorial Endowment Fund, was established in April 1996 by Vera Shwed and her four sons, Eugene, Dennis, Philip, and Mark. Following the death of their mother, her sons renamed the fund in honour of the family and in memory of their parents. The fund supports projects at the Ukrainian Language Education Centre that promote teachers’ professional development and the improvement of language courses.
Established in August 1996 by Olga Pawliuk (Toronto), initially to support the Hrushevsky Translation Project and then to support research and publishing in Ukrainian and Ukrainian Canadian history.
Established in October 1996 with a $10,000 donation from Professor Paul Stelmaschuk and Mrs. Anna Stelmaschuk (Kelowna, B.C.) and $10,000 from the late Mrs. Nancy Shemeluck-Radomsky (Edmonton) and Mrs. Mary Orchuk, and $ 1,000 from Mrs. Jean Naciuk. The fund supports extension education in Ukraine by assisting Ukrainians engaged in this field or planning to work in it. It can also be utilized by distance-learning workers from Canada to help educate prospective extension workers in Ukraine.
Established in November 1996 by Mary Zacharuk (Two Hills, Alberta) in memory of her husband, Michael (1908–1996). The fund supports scholarships and publications in Ukrainian and Ukrainian Canadian studies.
Established in December 1998 by Sylvester Remeza (1914–2002) of Ottawa. The fund supports research and publications pertaining to the work and legacy of Bohdan Lepky.
Established in December 1998 by Stephania Kupiak (Milton, Ontario). The fund offers scholarships to graduates of the Busk State Secondary School who go on to study economics, political science, law, or international relations at the Ivan Franko National University of Lviv.
Established in September 1999 by Dr. Celestin (Mykola) Suchowersky (1913–2008). The fund offers fellowships at the M.A. or Ph.D. level to residents of Bukovyna to study at the Universities of Alberta, Saskatchewan, Toronto, or other Canadian universities in the disciplines of sociology, psychology, economics, or Ukrainian studies.
Established in November 2005 by Mykhailo Onufriiovych Samytsia (1920–2009) in memory of his father, Onufrii Ivanovych Samytsia; his mother, Anastasia Dmytrivna Samytsia (née Stoianovska); and his wife, Maria Hryhorivna Samytsia (née Sharyk) from Mykhailo Samytsia and the estate of Maria Samytsia, the fund supports students and the scholarly and research activities of CIUS.
Established in December 2000 by Daria Mucak-Kowalsky (Toronto). The primary purpose of the fund is to offer scholarships to graduate students in Ukraine and Canada in selected disciplines. Scholarships are intended for students studying at the Ivan Franko National University of Lviv, the Ivano-Frankivsk National University, and the Kyiv Mohyla Academy National University. In Canada, scholarships are for those studying at any Canadian university, with preference to students at the University of Alberta.
Established in April 2004 by Daria Mucak-Kowalsky (Toronto). The fund supports the preparation, editing, and updating of entries pertaining to Ukrainian history in the Internet Encyclopedia of Ukraine.
Established in November 2005 by Mykhailo Onufriiovych Samytsia (Edmonton) in memory of his father, Onufrii Ivanovych Samytsia; his mother, Anastasia Dmytrivna Samytsia (née Stoianovska); and his wife, Maria Hryhorivna Samytsia (née Sharyk), with a donation of $208,500 from Mykhailo Samytsia and $5,000 from the estate of Maria Samytsia. The fund is designated in support of students and the scholarly and research activities of CIUS.
Established in January 2006 by Olga Pawliuk in support of the scholarly and research activities of CIUS, with priority to online computer-based initiatives.
Established by Dr. Myroslawa Iwanciw (née Mysko) of Elmwood Park, Illinois, in April 2006 in support of CIUS activities, with priority to Ukrainian students and scholars conducting research in Ukrainian studies.
Established in September 2006 by Drs. Peter and Doris Kule (Edmonton) with an initial donation of $100,000. Additional contributions have been received from individuals and organizations. The fund supports the study of the Ukrainian diaspora within the framework of the Ukrainian Canadian Program at CIUS.
Established by the Ivan Franko School of Ukrainian Studies (Edmonton) in October 2006 to commemorate its fiftieth anniversary, with an initial donation of $75,000. The amount was later increased by additional funds from the school and individual donors. The fund will provide travel grants to post-secondary students who wish to continue their studies in Ukrainian at universities in Ukraine.
Established by the late Ivan and Zenovia Boyko (Edmonton) in January 2007 in support of the Internet Encyclopedia of Ukraine. The fund was created as a tribute to the memory of Mr. Boyko’s mother, Kateryna Boyko (née Shchybylok), and as a gift to the Boykos’ grandchildren. It promotes computer-based access to information about Ukraine and Ukrainians.
Established by Jaroslaw Halchuk (St. Catharines, Ontario) in July 2007 in memory of his sons, Mykhailo and Volodymyr, and his wife, Olia. Proceeds from the fund support the scholarly, student, and research activities of CIUS.
Established by Drs. Peter and Doris Kule (Edmonton) in August 2007 to support the Ukrainian Canadian Program, now known as the Kule Ukrainian Canadian Studies Centre at CIUS. It supports the expansion of the Institute’s multifaceted commitment to documenting and sharing the wealth of the Ukrainian Canadian experience.
Established by Myron and Luba Baziuk (Edmonton) in August 2007 in support of the study of Ukrainian intellectual and cultural life in western Ukraine, with emphasis on the history of Lviv and the Lviv region, women’s studies in western Ukraine, and scholarly publications in the aforementioned areas. The fund also supports students from the University of Lviv who have been selected for the University of Alberta student exchange program.
Established by Oksana Boszko, Roman Borys, Adrian Borys, and Marko Borys in January 2008 in support of the Encyclopedia of Ukraine and other encyclopedia projects in all forms—print, electronic, and other media—under the direction of CIUS.
Established by Daria Mucak-Kowalsky in January 2008 to conduct research and publish materials of the Kule Ukrainian Canadian Studies Centre at CIUS dealing with the most recent (“fourth wave”) Ukrainian emigration to Canada.
Established by Father Hryhorij Fil and the late Olga Fil (Redwater, Alberta) in November 2008 to support research and publication of historical works and religious sources on topics in Ukrainian history or related topics in Ukrainian studies, such as Ukrainian literary history and the history of the Ukrainian language in Canada, as well as to support research and publication of liturgical books, religious literature, and studies on church affairs and religion.
Established in February 2009 with a bequest from the estate of Walter and Irene Litynsky (Windsor, Ontario), the fund supports research and publishing in Ukrainian and Ukrainian Canadian history.
Established in February 2009 by a donation of $500,000 from the Petro Jacyk Education Foundation and matched by the government of Alberta, the fund supports the Petro Jacyk Program for the Study of Modern Ukrainian History and Society, a collaborative project between CIUS, the Ivan Franko National University of Lviv, and the Ukrainian Catholic University.
Established in November 2009 by transferring the Danylo Husar Struk Memorial Fund at the Canadian Foundation for Ukrainian Studies (Toronto) in the amount of $100,000, the fund supports the Danylo Husar Struk Program in Ukrainian Literature at CIUS by providing grants to established scholars for the critical analysis of Ukrainian literature, sponsoring research, scholarly writing, and translation of Ukrainian literature, organizing workshops, public lectures and readings on Ukrainian literature, and supporting publications in Ukrainian literature.
Established in July 2010 by Parasia Iwanec (St. Catharines, Ontario) in memory of her late husband, Dr. Wasyl Iwanec (1905–1979), with a donation of $25,000, the fund supports research and publications at СIUS and provides scholarships and bursaries for students and research grants for scholars in Ukrainian studies.
Established in August 2010 by a donation of $25,000 from this Edmonton-based foundation, the fund, under the direction of the Kule Ukrainian Canadian Studies Centre at CIUS, supports scholarly research on Ukrainian Canadian history, the preparation of books on Ukrainian Canadian subjects, sponsorship and participation in academic conferences, and the development of databases in Ukrainian Canadian studies.
Established in August 2010 with a bequest of 20 percent of the estate of Peter Salyga (Winnipeg, Manitoba), the fund supports the publication and regular updates to the Internet Encyclopedia of Ukraine, as well as other CIUS publications.
Established in March 2011 by Roman Kolisnyk of Toronto with a donation of $15,000, the fund supports English and French translations and publications (print and electronic) of Ukrainian literary works, literary memoirs, diaries, and correspondence of Ukrainian-Canadian and other diaspora authors.
Established in May 2011 by Marko Babij, Roman Babij, and Nadia (née Babij) Gogus in memory of their parents, Levko and Marika Babij, with a donation of $50,000, the fund supports programs and grants related to the study of twentieth-century Ukrainian history, especially Ukraine in World War II.
Established in August 2011 by the joint efforts of the Ukrainian community in North America, the fund offers scholarships at the undergraduate or graduate level to students from the University of Alberta and universities in Ukraine to study abroad for one or more semesters at a partner university with which the University of Alberta has a valid student exchange agreement.
Established in March 2012, in memory of Ehor Kucharyshyn (1956‒2001), by Marusia (née Kucharyshyn) and Roman Petryshyn, Stephania and John Kucharyshyn, Luba and Larissa Kucharyshyn, and Lydia Kucharyshyn, the fund supports the publishing program (print and electronic) of the Ukrainian Language Education Centre at CIUS.
Established in May 2012 with a bequest of $450,000 from the estate of Natalia Golemba (Toronto, Ontario), the fund offers annual scholarships to law or humanities students at the Ivan Franko National University of Lviv who are fluent in Ukrainian and English/French/German to study or conduct research at the University of Alberta.
Established in June 2012 by Zenia Stechishin of Toronto through a transfer of funds from the Stechishin Publishing Fund at St. Andrew’s College in Winnipeg, earlier managed by the Consistory of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, and originally created in February 1972 at the Saskatoon branch of the Ukrainian Canadian Congress to commemorate a renowned Ukrainian activist in Canada, Julian Stechishin (1895–1971). The fund supports scholarly publications (print and electronic) in Ukrainian and Ukrainian Canadian studies that are published or co-published by CIUS Press, or supported by CIUS.
Established in September 2013 with a bequest from the estate of Mary Yacyshyn (Ontario), the fund supports general activities of the Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies.
Established in October 2013 by Dr. Nestor and Myrosia Maslo (Edmonton), the fund supports the activities of the Ukrainian Canadian Program at CIUS, including publication of print and digital materials, organization of and participation in conferences, and research activities dealing with the history of Ukrainians in Canada.
Established in April 2014 with a bequest from Dr. Maria Fischer-Slysh (Toronto), the fund is to be used for fellowships and scholarly projects in Ukrainian studies.