blank.gif (878 bytes)

14. Holy Ascension Russo-Orthodox Church
WASEL from St. Mary's at Szypenitz: 2 miles west to Highway 45; approximately 10 miles west on Highway 45 to S.R. 857, north on S.R. 857 for approximately 10 miles (NW 1-58-14-W41)


c14.jpg (23863 bytes)

Holy Ascension Russo-Orthodox Church is located in the area settled by the well-known Hawrelak family (William Hawrelak was a controversial but popular mayor of Edmonton in the 1960s and 1970s). Its design is common to a number of Russo-Orthodox churches (some of which later converted to Ukrainian Orthodoxy) found in the settlement area. Several elements of its design, such as the tripartite plan shape with a relatively larger central unit and the small closed central dome on a large octagonal drum, are peculiar to areas settled by Bukovynians like the Hawrelaks.

Although the precise date of construction is not known, it can be estimated that the church was built sometime between 1909 and 1913. Churches of this architectural type were invariably the first to be built in a given parish and thus clearly represent the direct influence of similar structures in Ukraine. Subsequent churches were, in general, much more "Ukrainian Canadian" than "Ukrainian" in style and design.

A belltower and cemetery are also located in the churchyard.