After the architectural sophistication of Holy Cross Church, this church returns to the stark, simple beauty of an earlier generation. Although it was built by John Lopushinsky as late as 1920, Holy Ascension Church is a tripartite structure with a central unit that is slightly larger than the other two. It has a large open central dome and two very small cupolas over the nave and sanctuary. This is the second church in the parish, the first one having been a log structure built at the turn of the century.
The parish was founded in 1897-98, making it one of the first Russo-Orthodox parishes in Canada. It was originally named in honour of St. Mary the Protectress but this was changed to Holy Ascension when the new church was built. Reverend Jacob Korchinsky was the first parish priest.
Inside, the church has been preserved and maintained to an exceptionally high degree. There is a sublime four-tiered iconostasis and a framed icon to its right that was painted by Peter Lipinski in 1947. It is common to find individual examples of Lipinski's work such as this throughout the province's Ukrainian churches. After Lipinski retired, he painted canvases in his own home and sold them to the church goods supply store in Winnipeg, from which most of these churches bought their materials. Lipinski thus also left his legacy in many of the churches he did not paint.
Like most of the others, Holy Ascension Church has an adjacent cemetery and a belltower, here built of fieldstone.