|St. Mary's Ukrainian Catholic Church was built in 1916 by the well-known craftsman Jarema Janishewski. The building has undergone a number of facelifts throughout its existence, including the addition of an iconostasis in 1922 (wood repainted in 1967) and the covering of the original wooden siding with stucco (note that the bases of the domes were not stuccoed). The most significant addition to the decorative scheme was the painting of the interior in 1928 by the famous church artist Peter Lipinski. Highlights of his work include the imitation cut stone on the walls, decorative borders, the angels on the ceiling of the main dome, and the oil paintings with integrated painted frames on canvas glued directly to the walls.
St. Mary's was founded as a Ukrainian Catholic parish in 1900-1 (Vasyl Eleniak, one of the first two Ukrainians to settle in Canada, was one of the founding members) and its first church was built about two miles east of Chipman seven years later. In 1915, a split developed in the congregation, with several members expressing a wish to convert to the Russo-Orthodox faith. Based on a legal precedent that had been set ten years earlier, the converts were allowed to continue holding their services in the original church. Those who wished to remain Ukrainian Catholic, on the other hand, built the present St. Mary's Church in the townsite. A cemetery, wooden belltower, and the Chipman Ukrainian National Hall all stand adjacent to St. Mary's Church.
View of Iconostas