John W, Scott, former dean of the Faculty of Medicine, died recently after a lengthy illness. Described as "as fine a physician as Edmonton has ever had," Dr. Scott was 88 at the time of his death.
Born in Ireland, he emigrated to Boston in 1908, moved to Edmonton four years later and, after a year's study at Alberta College, entered the University's Faculty of Medicine. Following overseas service in the First World War, he received his medical degree from McGill University in 1921. He joined the staff of the University of Alberta in 1923 as an assistant professor of biochemistry and began his private practice the same year. He later lectured at McGill for a year and furthered his study at the Londorn Hospital Medical School and the Universities of Chicago and Michigan.
Dr. Scott was named director of medicine at the U of A Hospital in 1944 and from 1948 until 1949 was dean of Medicine. As dean, he guided expansion of the medical facilities to meet the increase in student enrolment and helped initiate a vital revision of the medical curriculum and staffing.
He also held several national and international offices. He was a member of the medical advisory committee of the National Research Council, president of the Association of Canadian Medical Colleges and of the Royal College Of Physicians and Surgeons, and in 1973 was named a master of the American College of Physicians.
The medical library at the University Hospital is named after Dr. Scott, as is the most prestigious award conferred by the Faculty of Medicine, the award given to the graduating student "who best displays those qualities of scholarship, leadership, and character that were Dr. Scott's great strengths."
Published Summer 1982.