If you'd like to be added to an LRIGS mailing list to get notice of LRIGS short courses and guest lectures and to get the LRIGS newsletter please send an email request to email@example.com
- LRIGS committee members, researchers, graduate students and post doctoral fellows have developed a bucket list for land reclamation professionals. We'd love to hear what you think about it. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your comments.
- University of Alberta undergraduate students studying land reclamation will be presenting posters on their capstone team reclamation projects on Thursday, March 26. Go here for more details.
- A recent project of one of our LRIGS researchers, Dr Peter Boxall, was the subject of a recent Edmonton Journal article.
- Check out the spotlight article on LRIGS MSc student, Alison Bijman.
- This year's LRIGS guest lecture will be given by Ms Pat Payne from the Alberta Energy Regulator on Friday, March 13 and will talk about the Province of Alberta's Orphan Well Program. Go here for more details.
- Congratulations to LRIGS MSc student Kangyi Lou! Kangyi won 1st place for best graduate student presentation at the Alberta Soil Science Workshop held in Edmonton from February 17 - 19.
- The Canadian Forest Service wants to hire a Forest Reclamation Scientist. Go here for more details.
LRIGS is teaming up with its academic partners at China University of Geosciences, Beijing (CUGB) to provide another opportunity for its graduate students and post doctoral fellows to engage in activities to increase their exposure to different international perspectives on land reclamation. LRIGS students and post docs will be partnered with CUGB students and post docs as pen pal partners. They will correspond with their partners on a regular basis to share information about their research and to talk about land reclamation in general. We look forward to the professional and personal relationships that might develop through this arrangement.
- Natural Resources Canada is looking to hire a Policy Analyst. Go here for more details.
- The Canadian Society of Soil Science will be hosting a conference from July 5-10, 2015.
- The Canadian Land Reclamation Association and Manitoba Soil Science Society wil be hosting a conference from June 15-18, 2015.
- Happy International Year of Soils!
- Dr Brad Pinno, an Assistant Professor Candidate for a position in the Department of Renewable Resources at the University of Alberta, will be presenting a Terrestrial Restoration Ecology seminar entitled, "Reconstructing forest ecosystems: Linking below and aboveground processes to create functioning forests" on Monday, January 26, from 10:00 - 11:00 am in Room 802 of the General Services Building on the University of Alberta campus.
- Dr Justine Karst, an Assistant Professor Candidate for a position in the Department of Renewable Resources at the University of Alberta, will be presenting a Terrestrial Restoration Ecology seminar entitled, "Restoration of Forest Ecosystem Functions in Reclaimed Landscapes" on Tuesday, January 20, from 8:30 - 9:30 am in Room 849 of the General Services Building on the University of Alberta campus.
- Dr Patrick Audet, an Assistant Professor Candidate for a position in the Department of Renewable Resources at the University of Alberta, will be presenting a Terrestrial Restoration Ecology seminar entitled, "The myth of ecological restoration: Addressing mining and environmental stewardship in the 21st century" on Monday, January 19, from 9:00 - 10:00 am in Room 802 of the General Services Building on the University of Alberta campus.
- Jerry Hanna, an Edmonton businessman and member of the LRIGS Advisory Committee, was recently featured in this online Business In Edmonton article.
- The Edmonton branch of APEGA (the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta) is hosting a presentation dealing with Tailings Management in the Oil Sands Industry. More information here.
- Dr Bill Shotyk, an LRIGS researcher, recently had some of his work featured in an Edmonton Journal article viewable here.
- Check out photos from the recent LRIGS trip to Germany on the LRIGS Facebook page.
- An article about LRIGS was recently published in the October 2014 issue of Business in Edmonton. You can view it here.
- Dr David Chanasyk is offering a course in Applied Soil Physics (EXGEN4301 FA2) through the University of Alberta's Faculty of Extension from November 3 - 7, 2014. More information can be found here.
Check out our archives for past news and events.
Testimonials from program participants and other LRIGS stakeholders can be found here.