Lahore Government College or simply GC, is synonymous with Lahore. Among the most famous of Lahore colleges, it is among the first educational institutions that were established in the Punjab. Generations of students have passed through its portals and attained eminent positions in all walks of life in Pakistan.
Although the establishment of a Central College at Lahore was sanctioned in 1856 with the condition that the teachers should be graduates of Oxford, Cambridge, Dublin or Durham, it was not until January 1, 1864 that the college opened its doors in the palace (haveli) of Dhian Singh/Khushal Singh, in Lahore's Walled City. The first principal was the famous Dr. G. W. Leitner whose name is closely attached to the College. In April 1871 the college moved to a large Bungalow near Anarkali. In 1873 its location was changed to another house called Rahim Khan’s Kothi.
When it was decided to move to more suitable
premises, a site on an eminence north of the
Soldier's Garden (Gol Bagh) was selected, and a
'picturesque building', with a large central clock
tower was constructed. That Gothic was the chosen
style for the building is not surprising. Among the
first major structures of Lahore, the missionary
zeal frequently expressed by the Lawrence brothers
(Henry and John Lawrence) no doubt had an impact on
the architectural expression of the college. As is
well known, during the early Victorian age, every
administrator from England arrived as a missionary
soldier in the subcontinent, and what could better
express the Christian zeal than buildings clad in
The college has a large campus. It contains one of the earliest libraries of the province, which houses a large collection of books acquired over the years. Apart from several other structures, in the rear of the main college building is also located another historic building—a boarding house dating to 1892. Built around a quadrangle 160' by 170', at a cost of Rs. 57,000, it was designed to accommodate 100 students.
This prestigious educational institution has such distinguished alumni as Allama Iqbal, the visionary who galvanized the Muslims of South Asia through his poetry and philosophy to strive for a separate homeland and Dr. Abdus Salam, the noble laureate in physics.