The rural community of Skaro is known for its three magnificent churches. Of these, Holy Cross Ukrainian Catholic Church is by far the largest. Its size and design are representative of Ukrainian Canadian church architecture based on the Ukrainian Baroque style. Indeed, many Ukrainian churches built since the time of construction of Holy Cross (1945) are fundamentally variations of the Ukrainian Baroque Style.
Holy Cross is a cruciform structure with four relatively smaller square rooms added to the angles between the arms of the cross so that the plan consists of nine distinct parts. The result is a rectangular building which has, in this case, domed towers on each of the four corners. Consistent with most churches of this type, many of the elements of the Ukrainian Canadian church style are present in Holy Cross: the round-headed windows, (note the trinity windows on three of the four elevations), the large central dome on an octagonal base, and the covered porch.
The church was built by a contractor named E. Beres, who obtained the blueprints for it elsewhere. The parish was organized in 1900, making it one of the earlier parishes in the settlement area. The present church is the second one on the site, the first having been constructed in 1911 by the well-known builder and Basilian lay brother, Jarema Janishewski. That church burned down in 1942, making way for the new one three years later. The parish retained the original belltower, which stands immediately to the northwest of the present church.