EAP 135 focuses on the development of language fluency and accuracy and on building the necessary vocabulary for further studies. Listening, reading, speaking, and writing skills are emphasized by engaging students in a variety of academic activities. This course, which precedes EAP 140, will enable students to lay the foundations for successful academic writing. Students will be introduced to language learning strategies and will develop study skills that are crucial to their success in an English-language University.
- IELTSTM – a score of at least 5.0 on the IELTSTM Academic with no band score less than 4.5
- TOEFL® iBTTM – a score of at least 65 with no less than 16 on each band
- New students may also place in EAP 135 from the ELS Placement Test
EAP 140 focuses on beginning to develop the language skills necessary to interact within a university setting. This is done by building listening, reading, writing, and speaking vocabulary and comprehension, while emphasizing language accuracy as the primary focus for all second-language learners. Students will be introduced to some basic reading and writing strategies, and will start to put into practice the study skills which will help them to succeed in a North American setting.
- EAP 135
- IELTSTM – a score of at least 5.5 on the IELTSTM Academic with no band score less than 5.0
- TOEFL® iBTTM – a score of at least 70 with no less than 17 on each band
- New students may also place in EAP 140 from the ELS Placement Test
EAP 145 continues to build and polish the language skills necessary to succeed in a Canadian university. In this course, the research and library skills introduced in EAP 140 are further developed, emphasizing academic methods of integrating source materials into an argument. Skills for critical thinking and argument building will also be emphasized throughout. At the completion of EAP 145, students will have acquired the language skills and understanding of the North American academic system necessary for them to continue their studies with confidence.