International students quickly learn the benefits of participating in the Homestay Program while learning English. The program is specially designed for students who speak English as a second or additional language.
Approximately 400 host families have been carefully selected from the Edmonton community to ensure that they have a genuine interest in having a cross-cultural exchange. Both the host family and student have a unique learning experience and often develop bonds that last a lifetime.
Who is eligible?
The Homestay Program is for international students whose first language is not English. Students must be 18 years of age or older by the first day of their program. Students must register as full-time students at the University of Alberta.
Students must participate in the Homestay Program for a minimum of two months.
- Accommodation from the weekend before the English placement test to the weekend after the program ends.
- Host families provide a private, furnished bedroom.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, seven days a week, is included and provided by the host family
- Convenient location: we select homes that are on bus routes to the University of Alberta (normally a maximum of a 45-minute transit trip from the University).
- Homestay monthly rate: $850/month
—includes accommodation & meals
- Homestay placement fee: $200
—payable when you're submitting the Homestay application
- Airport Pick-up fee: $50
- Damage deposit: $300