Frequently Asked Questions

Please contact Student Receivables with any comments or concerns:

Student Receivables
Financial Services
3rd Floor Administration
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2M7

Questions and Answers

  • I have a daily limit on my debit card? What are my options?

Contact your financial institution to increase your daily online debit card limit. Fees may also be paid through online banking by setting up the University of Alberta as a payee under the bill payment function.

  • Will credit card payments still be accepted for Application fees?

Yes. Mastercard, Visa, Discover, American Express and Visa Debit are acceptable forms of payment when applying online.

  • Will Credit Card be accepted for the Tuition Deposit?

No, the Tuition Deposit is an aspect of the tuition fee. Therefore, you do not have the option of paying the deposit by credit card at the University of Alberta. However, you are able to use Plastiq, a third party provider accepting credit card payments on behalf of the UofA. To use this service, a surcharge will be charged to your credit card. Please allow 6 business days for the payment to be sent to the UofA

  • What about the registration confirmation deposit?

No. The registration confirmation deposit fee is an aspect of the tuition fee. Therefore, you do not have the option of paying this fee by credit card.

Please note international students are able to pay the confirmation deposit by credit card as we do not accept Interac payments from foreign banks. Please visit the Student Tuition Payment website for a list of other payment methods or contact us at to obtain the University's banking information.

  • Will Ancillary Services accept credit card payments for parking?

Yes, contact:

Parking Services
1-051 Lister Centre
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2H6
Phone : 780-492-7275
Fax : 780-492-7832

  • Will I be able to pay for University housing (residence space) with my credit card?

Yes, contact:

Ancillary Services Administration Office
1-044 Lister Centre
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2H6
Phone : 780-492-4242
Fax : 780-492-7032

  • Will the Faculty of Extension accept credit card payments for non-credit courses?

Yes, contact:

University of Alberta Extension
Enterprise Square
10230 - Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5J 4P6
Phone: 780-492-3116 or 780-492-3109
Fax: 780-492-6735 

  • What are the methods for paying my tuition?

Financial Services (3rd Floor Administration Building):

  • Secure dropbox for cheques, money orders, and drafts

Other options for paying tuition (

  • Online/telephone banking
  • Interac Online
  • Through student's financial banking institution as a bill payment
  • Western Union
  • Plastiq (Accepts all major credit card payments. A fee is charged to use this service).

*Please allow sufficient time (minimum 3 business days) for these electronic payments to be processed so that tuition fees are received by the fee payment deadline.

  • Out-of-province students may conduct their financial business at an institution such as a credit union that does not include the University of Alberta as a potential payee. Will the University work with those institutions on behalf of students to be added as a payee?

Yes we are willing to work with the financial institution to add the University of Alberta to their list of payees. Please contact Financial Services at to advise us where we can assist in contacting your financial institution.

  • The timing of the delivery of student loans and the deadline for tuition payment are not aligned. What are you doing to help students who rely on their loans to pay their tuition?

Currently 80% of student loans are processed through an automated online confirmation process. Payment is usually received by the term payment deadline. The remaining 20% are processed manually, and the student is advised at the time of loan signing (if concern is expressed), that payment will be accepted at Financial Services without penalty, one month past the term payment deadline, if the loan payment pays the total term tuition amount. If the loan is authorized after the one month extension, further discussion with the student may be required.

  • Will the University accept credit card cheques for tuition payments?

Yes. Make credit card cheques payable to University of Alberta and be sure to include your name and student ID number. If the credit card cheque is returned by your bank, the NSF fee of $25.00 will apply. Please contact your credit card provider for further details on credit card cheque interest rates, as these cheques may be considered a cash advance.

  • What is the quickest method to pay tuition if I require a financial hold cleared? (e.g., in order to register for classes)

The most expedient way to have your financial hold cleared from your account is to drop a cheque at Financial Services (3rd Floor Administration Building) or Interac Online (payment will post in 10 minutes. Note, Visa Debit and Mastercard Debit are not acceptable). Additionally, you are able to pay using Bill Payment at your financial banking institution.

Financial holds related to Parking, Residence Services, Library, etc. must be paid at the originating or home department.

Updated: August 2018