How to Apply

Please follow these instructions to apply when the next funding cycle opens. We expect this to be in December 2019 or January 2020.

Candidates wishing to conduct research at UAlberta

Step 1:

Please review all Eligibility criteria before proceeding.

Step 2:

If all Eligibility criteria is met, the research internship candidate must find a willing UAlberta host supervisor and work with the host supervisor to determine a mutually agreed upon research project and duration based on the scholarship that is being applied for.

Please find our professor listings by faculty and research area on the different University of Alberta faculty websites. Then you can make connections by emailing professors you would potentially like to work with, as their contact information is on the website. When emailing them, please be sure to include:

  • your full name and contact information
  • your home University and home country
  • whether you are currently an undergraduate or graduate student
  • which year of your program you are in
  • the full name of the program you would be applying for
  • how long of a stay you wish to do research for (ex. 4 months, 5-6 months, 8 months)
  • your ideal start date (must be between June 1 – February 1)
  • information for host supervisors 

Here are the professor listings by Faculty:

Faculty of Agricultural, Life & Environmental Sciences (ALES) 

Alberta School of Business

Faculty of Arts

Augustana Campus

Campus Saint-Jean

Faculty of Education

Faculty of Engineering

Faculty of Kinesiology, Sport, and Recreation

Faculty of Law

Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry

Faculty of Native Studies

Faculty of Nursing

Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences

Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine

Faculty of Science

School of Public Health


Step 3:

Once the research internship candidate has found a potential host supervisor, please review the Application Process. The candidate will work together with their home institution and UAlberta host supervisor to gather the 6 required suppporting documents. The applicant may then proceed with submitting these documents, along with some additional information, to University of Alberta International by completing an electronic application form. This form will be linked in this section of the website at the beginning of the next application cycle.


Step 4:

University of Alberta International (UAI) will review all applications received by the institution-set internal deadline for eligibility and completeness.

Step 5:

As necessary, University of Alberta International (UAI) will attach a signed copy of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) or other agreement between the University of Alberta and the partner institution as part of submitting applications through the International Scholarships Canada Application Tool.

Please review the Eligibility criteria for details and ensure that if you are an undergraduate candidate, that you have verified the existence of such an agreement or MOU with your home institution before finding a University of Alberta host professor and applying.

Step 6: 

University of Alberta International (UAI) is responsible for submitting complete and eligible applications to the Government of Canada on behalf of the host supervisor and candidate by the deadline.

Step 7:

University of Alberta International (UAI) will notify the candidate and host supervisor of the results via e-mail once they are shared by the Canadian Bureau of International Education (CBIE), typically 3 months or so after the submission deadline has passed.

Candidates wishing to register in courses as part of a study exchange at UAlberta

Step 1:

Undergraduate or graduate students wishing to take UAlberta courses must be from an exchange partner institution with a current student exchange agreement (SEA). 

Check if your school is one of our exchange partner institutions with whom we have a current SEA by using the Find a Program tool on our Go Abroad website. To do so, use the "Country" filter to select the country in which your home university is located and select "Exchange" from the "Program Type" filter.

If your home university is listed, we have a current SEA and you may proceed with pursuing a course-based study exchange program.

Step 2: 

Get nominated for an exchange to UAlberta or get an assurance that you will be nominated from your home institution.

Step 3: 

Once you know that you have been or will be nominated for an exchange, please submit the supporting documents listed below to the UAlberta Exchange Programs Coordinator, Mr Michal Guzowski, at  

The documents must be in one of the following formats: .pdf, .jpg, .doc, .docx, .txt or .gif. Each document must be smaller than 5 MB in order for the application to upload successfully.

  1. Proof of citizenship: a copy of the candidate's passport or national identity document with valid dates. Note: a driver's licence, permanent resident card, student card or baptism certificate is not accepted as proof of citizenship. The country of citizenship selected in the online application form must be the same as the country of the proof of citizenship.
  2. Proof of full-time enrolment: a letter in English or French from the home institution, on official letterhead, dated within the last six months, confirming that the candidate is currently enrolled in a full-time program and will continue to be enrolled upon their return and providing the expected completion date of the degree. Note: copies of transcripts, a student card or letter of admission are not acceptable (maximum one page).
  3. Letter of intent from the candidate: a letter in English or French from the candidate describing the nature of their research or studies to be undertaken and explaining the rationale for study in Canada and for the choice of institution, the program and the supervisor. The candidate must also indicate how the proposed program of study or research will relate to their future career (maximum one page).
  4. Letter of support from the home institution: a letter in English or French from the candidate's instructor, professor or international director on the institution's official letterhead explaining the nature of study and how the candidate and the home institution will benefit from this scholarship program (maximum one page).
  5. Privacy Notice Statement: a copy of the Privacy Notice Statement for non-Canadian participants dated and signed by the candidate.
  6. ONLY FOR GRADUATE STUDENT CANDIDATES WISHING TO ENROLL IN THE RSCH 900 COURSE:  Letter of invitation from the Canadian supervisor: applications for graduate students must include a letter from the Canadian supervisor indicating their willingness to support and mentor the candidate. This letter must be on institutional letterhead, be in English or in French, be signed and demonstrate the support for the candidate during the exchange period and demonstrate how the Canadian institution, supervisor and peers will benefit (maximum one page).

Step 4:

University of Alberta International (UAI) will review all applications received by the institution-set internal deadline for eligibility and completeness. Should we notice any errors or omissions in your application we will contact you to let you know so it will be important to monitor your inbox, spam/junk mail and trash/garbage/deleted folders for any messages from UAI to which you would need to respond until you get confirmation from us that all is well with your application.

Step 5: 

UAI is responsible for submitting complete and eligible applications to the Government of Canada on behalf of candidates by the Government of Canada deadline.

Step 6:

UAI will notify candidates of the results via e-mail once they are shared by the Canadian Bureau of International Education (CBIE), typically 3 months or so after the submission deadline has passed.