Insurance Information

Travel Health Insurance

VSCP students should have travel health insurance coverage valid from the date they depart for Canada until the first day of the month that their VSCP studies start.

Mandatory Health Insurance

International visiting students attending the University of Alberta are automatically enrolled in the University of Alberta Health Insurance Plan (UAHIP). Participation in UAHIP is mandatory. There is a monthly fee for this insurance. Students will receive their UAHIP insurance card during orientation activities after they have arrived in Edmonton.

Students enrolled in academic classes in Fall and Winter Terms will automatically be enrolled in Student Union Health and Dental. The Plan is designed specifically for students to cover many services not covered by the UAHIP including dental care. Students can opt-out of this plan but must do so by the opt-out deadline. Please contact VSCP staff for more information.

Tenant Insurance

The purchase of tenant insurance is recommended. The purpose of this insurance is to cover costs to repair any damage within the residence caused by the student or to cover replacement costs for a student's personal belongings in the event of water or fire damage, or theft. Tenant insurance might be included in home university study abroad insurance or it can be purchased in Canada for approximately $15-$20 per month. VSCP staff may provide more information about Canadian options once the student arrives. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that they have this coverage.