Value: up to $7,500
These scholarships recognize students who demonstrate exceptional leadership through school and community involvement while maintaining superior academic standing. Approximately 100 Entrance Leadership Scholarships are available each year. A version of this award is also available for transfer applicants.
Opening application date: October 1, 2017
Deadline to apply: December 18, 2017
In order to be eligible for this scholarship, you must demonstrate exceptional leadership through school and community involvement while maintaining strong academic standing. A reference letter will also be required.
Candidates must meet all of the following criteria:
- Be entering the first year of full-time studies in an undergraduate degree program at the University of Alberta in September of the upcoming year, in one of the following ways:
- Directly from high school with fewer than 24 IB, AP, or A-level credits
- Directly from high school with fewer than 12 credits of university course work taken during high school through Open Studies or a similar program at another accredited post-secondary institution
- Following time taken off between high school and university, provided that no post-secondary credit was received during that time
- Present a minimum 80% average and be admissible to your program (see competitive averages for programs)
The following are guidelines only; final evaluation of eligibility for this scholarship will be made by a selection committee based on the applicant’s specific qualifications and reference letter, and weighed competitively against the applicant pool.
Leadership is more than participation in extracurricular activities. We are looking for well-rounded leaders who demonstrate strong leadership qualities and depth of involvement in their communities. Leaders are people who take action, show initiative, and go above and beyond what is expected.
A well-rounded leader will:
- Hold key leadership roles
- Participate in a variety of activities
- Show initiative
- Have both community and school involvement
- Have become progressively more involved over time
- Demonstrate a high level of commitment
- Have a well rounded distribution of leadership activities that span across your high school career
How to apply
Apply for Awards
In order to apply for scholarships and awards, you must first apply for admission»
For application-based awards administered by the Office of the Registrar, you can apply online:
Notification and acceptance
Successful applicants will be notified in March 2017. If you are offered this award, the My Awards section of Bear Tracks will be updated and you will receive an email notification.
To find out more about how to accept and receive your award, please see Information for Award Recipients.
About this award
Entrance Leadership Scholarships are funded by the University of Alberta, our faculties, and our donors. As an applicant, you only need to apply to the scholarship competition; you will then be assessed for your eligibility for individual awards. Should you receive an offer, the specific awards you receive will be posted in Bear Tracks.
View the list of individual awards that make up the funding for this scholarship»