Students applying by December 1st will be given program preference.
Undergraduate students from any and all academic disciplines are welcome to apply for SAFS. To be eligible to take part in the program students must:
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.3 or higher in the last Fall/Winter semesters
- Have successfully completed at least *15, or more as required by their home Faculty/Institution, by the start of the SAFS program
- Have successfully completed BIOL 108
- Have a valid passport and or visas to study in South Africa, Mozambique and Swaziland
Instructions for How to Apply
Complete fillable application
Upload a single PDF file with a Cover Letter and CV/Resume.
Upload a PDF copy of your transcript from Bear Tracks
Instructions for How to Apply for non-University of Alberta Students
- Complete fillable application
- Apply to the University of Alberta as a visiting student (you will have to meet admission requirements and deadlines)
- Email email@example.com your:
- .pdf Cover Letter and CV/Resume
- .pdf Transcripts
Cover Letter should address the following questions:
Why do you want to participate in Southern African Field School?
Which module(s) you would like to complete?
What are your career goals and how do you think this program/module will benefit you?
What do you think will be the greatest challenge/benefit of participating in Southern African Field School?
What life/work/study experience you have that will benefit you in preparing to study abroad.
1 page maximum, 12 point font
Search the internet for templates, and/or focus on the last 2-3 years using the following subheadings