Step 1 – Check Your Eligibility
A 4-year undergraduate degree in a related area, or its academic equivalent, from a recognized institution.
Grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 out of 4.0 in the last two years (approximately 60 credits) of post-secondary study.
Review the following links to assess your eligibility:
Note: We do not require GRE test scores for admission purposes.
Step 2 – Obtaining Supervision
All graduate students must have a faculty member agree to supervise their program before admission is approved. We strongly recommend obtaining supervision prior to applying online, as without a supervisor, your application cannot move forward.
Contact faculty members in the research area of interest about pursuing a graduate degree under their supervision. Items to include in your email:
- A description of your research interests (Why are you interested in their work and why do you feel you would be a good fit in their lab?)
- Attach your Curriculum Vitae (resume), including any publications
- Attach a scanned copy of your transcripts
- If applicable, attach a scanned copy of English language proficiency
Step 3 – Applying Online & Submitting Documents
Once you have verified your eligibility, please apply for admission. In order to successfully submit your application for admission, you will be required to upload your supporting documents, as outlined below, to the online application system. Please visit the link provided below for more information:
- OFFICIAL Transcripts/ Marksheets in original language & English translations
- OFFICIAL English languages scores (if applicable)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Research Statement Form (available on the application portal)
- Names & contact information of THREE references
Note: A non-refundable application fee of $100 CAD will be assessed when you apply.
Step 4 – Await the Official Admission Decision
Once we have received all of the required documents, your application is considered complete and the application will move forward to the review process. Applicants will be contacted by email once an official decision has been made.
Successful applicants will receive a department letter of offer that will outline the details of the admission. The official letter of acceptance will be issued by the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research (FGSR) at a later date, and be sent by email to your University of Alberta email address.
IMPORTANT: Official documents (transcripts, degree certificates, etc.) may be required upon receiving the conditional offer of admission letter. Documents must be sent directly from the post-secondary institution to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research office. Detailed instructions will be outlined in your offer letter.