Fall 2020 FAQ for ALES Students

General Questions

What grading scheme will be used in the Fall?
Courses will be graded using the letter grades going forward, not NC/CR. If a course was previously CR/NC (ie WKEXP, HECOL 409, NUTR internship courses, etc), it will remain that way.
I'm not in Canada and having classes in a different time zone can lead to midnight classes
Courses offered synchronously may have lectures recorded to review later. Some courses will be taught asynchronously to allow for various time zones, which means although you have a "time" for class, you can access it at a time best suited to your schedule and time zone. Instructors will have specific details as to how their course will be taught, and will share with students as they become available. If synchronous tests are on the syllabus, please contact your instructor.
What if I decide to take the Fall term off? Can I resume my studies in Winter??
In general, taking a single term off is not a problem. There are many things to consider if you are wanting to take the Fall term off. This includes impact on awards or scholarships, study permits, student loans, course load requirements, course sequencing and availability. In addition, think about what you would do if the Winter term moved online as well.
Do I need to maintain my course load?
A full course load is defined as ★9 credits per term. With the exception of the Dietetics Specialization, which has a defined class cohort pattern, the Faculty of ALES does not have required course loads for our programs. Please email your student advisor or email questions.ales@ualberta.ca if you have any questions about your class schedule. Please note, there are student loan, awards, and scholarship implications if you drop below a full course load.
What technology do I need to be successful at remote learning?

Computing recommendations can be found here.

We strongly emphasize the University of Alberta’s recommendation for Google Chrome with a webcam. Please refer to your course syllabi in the event of additional technical recommendations for remote learning. Instructors will contact students if any additional or specialized software is required for their course.

Courses and labs

Are there any courses that will have face to face components?
A full list of courses with face to face components is available here.

Students who cannot attend face to face and are currently registered in courses with in-person components are advised to reach out to their instructors to see if accommodations are possible. In the case where an accommodation cannot be made, students should prepare to select a different course for the Fall 2020 term. If there are program implications, we will work with you to find a solution. Please contact questions.ales@ualberta.ca if you need assistance.
Will there be labs, and for which courses? In person or remote?

A. Yes. Most courses that have a lab component will continue to have a lab, either in person, remote, or in an alternative format. There may be some face-to-face labs offered on campus. Please review this link for a full list of in person courses. ALES specific courses with in-person labs are listed below:

  • AFNS 575
  • HECOL 254
  • HECOL 370
  • HECOL 460
  • HECOL 476/576
  • NU FS 361
  • NU FS 401
  • NU FS 407A
  • NUTR 407A
  • REN R 101
  • REN R 120
  • REN R 210
  • REN R 323
  • REN R 441
  • REN R 443
Courses that have a face-to-face lab component. What does this mean?
Face-to-face labs will be delivered on campus in smaller cohorts that adhere to all public health protocol and safety measures.
How will I know the location of the labs?
Over the month of July, the Registrar’s Office will be adjusting the room location to accurately reflect where the lab will be located.
Will I have to do anything different when I come on to campus in the Fall to access the lab?
Yes, there will be protocol in place to ensure we are following the guidelines outlined by the Chief Medical Officer. These instructions will be communicated to you closer to the start of class.