Project Serve is a one-day event in September that connects incoming students in the Faculty of ALES with the opportunity to volunteer for half a day with a community organization in Edmonton.
By participating in this community service-learning event, you have the opportunity to connect this volunteer experience with what you are learning in your program. Plus, you will:
- meet other students in your program of study
- learn about issues in our community
- explore possible career opportunities
Project Serve 2019 is scheduled for Saturday, September 14th!
The event starts in the main lobby (the "Pit") in the Agriculture/Forestry Centre. Please arrive on time!
||Student check-in and signing of waivers. Breakfast on campus (main lobby of the Agriculture/Forestry Centre)
||Travel to community placements
||Service projects in the community, including a brief orientation upon arrival and a reflection discussion at the end of your service
||Return to campus
If you register for Project Serve, event organizers will contact you by September 10th to confirm details. Please contact email@example.com if you have questions.
Items you will need to bring:
- close-toed shoes (running shoes, work boots). NO SANDALS/FLIP FLOPS!
- your ONECard and UPass - we will be taking public transit to several of the partner locations
- warm clothes (long-sleeved shirt, sweatshirt)
- rain coat/wind-breaker
- a hat
- long pants (shorts, skirts and dresses are NOT good clothing choices for this day! Long pants only please.)
- bug spray
- work gloves (if you have them)
- snacks (we will have a light breakfast and lunch, but bring some snacks if you get hungry easily)
- water bottle
Projects & Community Partners
We are connecting with organizations whose work focuses on animal health/welfare, sustainability, food security, urban agriculture, and community well-being. Students could be assisting with sorting donations, gardening/planting/harvesting, cleaning/organizing, animal grooming, etc.
The important thing to keep in mind is that any little bit of help you can provide will be important for the partners we’re working with. Keep an open mind and be ready to dive into the fun!
Our Community Partners
We are very lucky to have the support of wonderful community partners. We aim to ensure that this day is as meaningful for our community partners as it is for our students.
Compost S'cool ~ NEW!
Edmonton & Area Land Trust ~ NEW!
Edmonton Food Bank
Edmonton Organic Growers Guild
Edmonton Reuse Centre
GoatWorks & Root for Trees~ NEW!
Green & Gold Community Garden
Operation Friendship Seniors Society ~ NEW!
If your organization is interested in partnering with us on this event, please contact us.