Alumni Council represents the body of more than 280,000 University of Alberta graduates who make up the Alumni Association. Alumni Council provides advice, determines programming and works closely with the University of Alberta to strengthen the relationship alumni have with their alma mater and with each other. All members are elected volunteers and serve without financial remuneration. As well as being on council, members also sit on one of several sub-committees.
Alumni Council is composed of:
- One representative from each of the 17 degree-granting faculties
- Currently 18 members-at-large
- The president, president-elect and past-president of the Alumni Association
- Two representatives each for the Board of Governors and the Senate
- The president of the Students' Union or their designate
- The president of the Graduate Students’ Association or their designate
- The associate vice-president (Alumni Relations)
- The vice-president (Advancement)
- The honorary president (the university president)
The June 2017 - May 2019 Alumni Association President is Ayaz Bhanji, '91 BSc(Pharm).