Do Great Things is both the promise and the challenge of our Alumni Association. Help us recognize the significant contributions of our alumni and continue the tradition of celebrating the amazing contributions U of A alumni make to the world.
A nomination consists of three parts:
- Nomination form
- Biographical summary (500 word maximum)
- Letters of support
You do not have to be a University of Alberta alumnus to submit a nomination.
Nomination deadline: December 15
Steps to Nominate
1) Confirm eligibility
- Nominees must have graduated from the University of Alberta, this includes graduates of Faculty of Extension certificate programs and Office of Postgraduate Medical Education programs that graduated after 2013.
- Current University of Alberta faculty and staff that are also alumni are eligible to receive an Alumni Award.
- Current members of Alumni Council and members of their family not eligible to receive an Alumni Award. However, exceptions may be made where an award is time-sensitive.
- Members of public office are not eligible to receive an Alumni Award during their term. Once the individual no longer holds an elected or appointed position in political office they are eligible to receive an Alumni Award.
- List of examples of elected and appointed political positions
- Alumni Awards are not awarded posthumously.
2) Select a category
- Distinguished Alumni Award
The Distinguished Alumni Award is the Alumni Association's highest honour. The Distinguished Alumni Award recognizes the outstanding lifetime accomplishments of alumni who have earned national or international regard or have had significant local impact as a result of their outstanding professional achievements and/or service to society.
- Honour Award
Recognizes the significant achievements and contributions over a number of years by University of Alberta alumni to their profession and/or their community.
- Horizon Award
Recognizes the outstanding career achievements and/or contributions to community of recent graduates, within 12 years of receiving a bachelor’s degree or within 10 years of receiving an advanced degree. Note: DDS, LLB, JD and MD are considered undergraduate degrees.
- Service Award
Recognizes alumni who have demonstrated an extraordinary level of commitment, dedication and volunteer service to the University of Alberta.
- Alumni Award of Excellence
Recognizes specific, recent accomplishments of University of Alberta graduates 12 months prior to the nomination deadline. Accomplishments may include major awards, national or international honours, major championships, appointment to high office, etc.
- Innovation Award
Recognizes an innovative program, process or product created, implemented or discovered by a University of Alberta alumnus or group of alumni. The program, process or product has significantly impacted their profession, community, society at large or the U of A. Note: A group or team must have a membership with a majority (>50%) U of A alumni to be considered for this award.
Past Recipient List
3) Write a biographical summary
- In what area has this person excelled — what demonstrates how this nominee is exceptional? How does s/he stand out from their peers?
- What have the nominee achieved outside of their profession- personal interests, charity work, or involvement in the community?
- Are their contributions and achievements based on individual merit or personal commitment, rather than as a result of their position of employment?
- How does the person nominated make you proud to be a graduate of the University of Alberta? What personal qualities does the nominee exhibit that makes them an inspiration for students and other alumni?
- Tips for writing a biographical summary
- Note: Additional materials (news articles, CVs, lists of publications) are not accepted as part of an Alumni Award nomination.
4) Collect letters of support
- Ideal referees are people who can personally comment on the specific achievements, contributions and the impact of these actions of the person nominated.
- A minimum of three letters are required for Distinguished Alumni Award nominations and he nominator may also serve as a supporter for Distinguished Alumni Award nominations. A minimum of two letters of support are required for all other categories and must be from supporters other than the nominator.
- Tips for writers of letters of support
- Template to request a letter of support
- Note: Letters of support must be written specifically for the Alumni Awards program. Letters of support written for other awards, honours or scholarships are not accepted.
5) Complete the nomination form
Download Nomination Form
6) Submit the nomination
Nominations can be submitted by email, fax, mail or in person to:
Ofﬁce of Alumni Relations
Main Floor, Enterprise Square
10230 Jasper Avenue
Nomination deadline: December 15