Proudly sponsored by UAlberta MBNA Rewards credit card
Alumni Professional Development Grants help University of Alberta alumni achieve their career growth goals by removing financial barriers to high-quality, meaningful career education and personal growth opportunities offered by the UAlberta and its partners.
This grant provides funding for alumni to participate in courses and activities that will help them:
- Develop leadership skills
- Explore career opportunities
- Learn about professional practices in different cultures and contexts
- Establish and expand professional networks
- Reflect critically on their career interests and aspirations
- Develop new skills including, but not limited to:
- Career Management skills: skills needed to navigate the workplace
- Discipline-specific skills: skills specific to certain occupational fields
- Generic skills: using technology, written and verbal communication, leadership
- Self-management skills:goal-setting, time-management, self-assessment, reflexivity
Who can apply:
Any alumnus of the University of Alberta.
Up to 75% of the registration fee for any course, event or activity offered by the University of Alberta or its affiliates. No grants will be given above $1000. No individual may receive more than $1000 in a single fiscal year (April 1 - March 31).
The registration fee for any course or activity that contributes to your professional development or career growth goals, offered by the University of Alberta or its partners, that is not for academic credit. This includes, but is not limited to, courses, events or activities offered by:
- The Faculty of Extension
- The Career Centre
- Augustana Campus
- Alberta School of Business
- The Calgary Centre
- Executive Education
- The Technology and training Centre (TTC)
- The University of Alberta Alumni Association or any of its Chapters
- Any course/activity for which you will receive academic credit
- Any course/activity where you will be paid for your participation
- The cost of travel to attend the course/activity
- Courses that have transpired or have been paid for (grants will not be awarded retroactively or for reimbursement).
Applications are assessed by a sub-committee of Alumni Council based on the following criteria (the scoring rubric is attached, please tailor your application appropriately):
- The clarity of the explanation of the applicant’s professional development/ career growth goals
- The value of the course/activity in helping the applicant achieve their career goals
- Quality of application package (clear, concise writing, thoughtful and reflexive professional development/career growth goals, reasonable expectations regarding outcomes of the course/activity, reasonable financial request).
Application and Notification dates (2018 - 2019 calendar year):
All grant applicants will be notified of their application status by email on or before the notification date that follows their application deadline (approx. two weeks after deadline). If requested, general feedback may be provided by the Corporate Alumni Relations Manager in the Office of Alumni Relations, but the names of the adjudication committee will remain confidential. Applicants are encouraged to apply early.
This is a program with a defined budget so no further applications will be accepted once the budget has been fully allocated.
If your application is successful, your grant funding will be paid directly to the course/activity provider. Grants will not be awarded retroactively or awarded for reimbursement.