History

The first University of Alberta degrees were awarded in 1912, creating the constituency for an Alumni Association. Within three years of the graduation of the University's first class, a constitution for the University of Alberta Alumni Association had been drafted. 

The following timeline highlights some "firsts" and important events in the growth and development of the Alumni Association and the Office of Alumni Relations.

1914
1914 - On 30 December a constitution for "an Alumni Association of the University of Alberta" is drafted. It is presented for acceptance at a meeting of alumni and the graduating class of 15 May 1915

1919 (Approximately)

1919 - A quarterly bulletin, The Trail, is established and appears with some regularity during the 1920s, falling off somewhat during the depression years of the '30s but never folding

1922 - The first permanent Alumni Office is established 1924 - The first regional chapter is formed in Calgary

1936 - The "Alberta Medical Graduates" chapter, a predecessor to the Medical Alumni Association, is formed

1942 - New Trail magazine is founded as a "...step to improve the university's image in the community." The first issue, edited by Professor F.M. Salter, appears in November 1942

1946 - The Students' Union organizes the first Homecoming. The Alumni Association assists with some of the events

1952 - Upon a request from the Students' Union, the Alumni Association takes over the organization of Homecoming

1977 - The Office of Alumni Affairs moves into the renovated Athabasca Hall

1982 - New Trail is reestablished as a quarterly magazine

1983 - The U of A Alumni Association celebrates its 75th anniversary

1983 - The Alumni Records database is designed to allow for "on-line" updates

1985 - The Hong Kong Alumni Association chapter is organized and immediately becomes the largest international branch of the Alumni Association 

1985 - The Alumni Association takes over responsibility for convocation receptions

1986 - The Alumni Association votes to forfeit its annual budget grant from the University and raise all operating funds directly through its own programs and services

1988 - Alumni donate $4.2 million (pledged over a four year period) through the "Project Leadership" phone/mail campaign

1992 - A mission statement for the Alumni Association is approved at the Annual General Meeting in May

1994 - The first Distinguished Alumni Awards are presented

1994 - 16 Alumni are inducted into the newly unveiled Alumni Wall of Recognition

1994 - University House is renamed Alumni House

1995 - For the first time ever the three highest positions at the University are held by alumni: President Rod D. Fraser, Chancellor Lou Hyndman, and Board of Governors Chair John Ferguson

1996 - The Alumni Wall of Recognition and Distinguished Alumni Awards are amalgamated 

1997 - New Trail magazine wins the Canadian Council for Advancement in Education Gold Award for best university magazine in Canada

1997 - A revitalized Alumni House is reopened 

2000 - The Alumni Council Scholarship is established

2000 - The annual Alumni Memorial Service is held for the first time

2004 - Alumni Walk officially opens

2005 - The annual Honorable Dr. Lois E. Hole Student Spirit Award is established by the Alumni Association to recognize the accomplishments of undergraduate students and to celebrate student spirit

2012 - Office of Alumni Affairs changed to Office of Alumni Relations