Presidents of the University of Alberta Alumni Association
1915-16 / 1917-18
Albert Edward Ottewell, ’12 BA, ’15 MA, was born November 21, 1882, in Edmonton. He served as first editor-in-chief (1910-11) of The Gateway and president of the Students’ Union (1911-12). In recognition of his academic achievements, in 1912 Ottewell was the first recipient of the Chancellor’s Gold Medal. That same year, he joined the Department of Extension as its secretary. He held this position until being named the University’s registrar in 1928, a post he would hold until 1946. Over the course of his career at the University of Alberta, Ottewell served as a founding member of the Collegium Agricalorum, first chairman of the Student Committee for University Residences, and president of the Alma Mater Committee. In the wider community, he was a member of the Edmonton School Board and served as its chairman in 1927. He was also a member and president of the Alberta School Trustees Association, a member of the Canada-Newfoundland Educational Association and of the Canadian Club, a campaigner for the Red Cross, a senior elder with Knox Metropolitan Church in Edmonton, and president of the Canadian School Trustees Association in 1945.
William Robinson Howson ’15 BA, ’16 LLB, was born in Norwood, Ontario, in 1883. He worked as a high school teacher and bank manager before moving to Alberta in 1910, eventually settling in Edmonton after stints as a bill collector in Sedgewick, Alberta, and as a real estate agent in Calgary. He then attended the University of Alberta, where he was awarded the Gold Medal in Law. He served with the Royal Canadian Army in France during the First World War. In 1918, he returned to the practice of law in Edmonton, becoming King’s Counselor in 1935. Howson ran for a seat in the Alberta Legislature in the 1930 Alberta provincial election, standing as a Liberal candidate in the Edmonton electoral district and winning a seat in the Legislature. Howson became leader of the Alberta Liberal Party in 1932 and led it in the 1935 provincial election. The Liberal party, despite having success prior to the election enticing two members to cross the floor, ended up losing seven seats but keeping official opposition status. Howson held his seat but resigned from it and his position as party leader a year later after being appointed to a seat on the Alberta Supreme court. He was appointed by the federal Liberal government to sit on the Alberta Supreme Court Trial Division in 1936, the Apellate Division in 1942, and became chief justice of the trial division in 1944, serving until his death in 1952.
1918-19 / 1919-20
Charles Frederick Carswell was born in Penhold, Alberta, and received his early schooling in Red Deer. During the First World War, he served overseas with the Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry. He practiced law in Pincher Creek, Alberta from the early 1930s until his retirement in 1956. Many of his clients resided in Pincher Creek or were involved in the ranching industry. He and his wife, Hilda, were active in the community and he was a life member of the Pincher Creek Branch Number 43 of the Royal Canadian Legion. In 1962, the couple moved to Victoria and he died there in 1969.
W. Dixon Craig
1920-21 / 1921-22
William Dixon Craig, a lecturer of law at the University of Alberta from 1920 to 1941, was born in Toronto, Ontario. He earned a BA and a BSc from the University of Toronto, where he was presented with a Cawthorne Medal. He later earned an LLB from the University of Alberta. Craig was a mining engineer between 1899 and 1913. From 1917 until 1941, he was a partner in the Edmonton law firm of Woods, Sherry, MacAlister and Craig. Appointed to the King’s Counsel of Alberta in 1935, Craig was a member of the Canadian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy and of the Association of Professional Engineers of Alberta. Craig married Grace E. Redmond in 1902 and the couple had two daughters. He passed away January 26, 1941 in Edmonton.
Joseph D.O. Mothersill, ’16 BA, ’18 LLB, was born in Brampton, Ontario. He came to Edmonton in 1912, enrolling in the University of Alberta and completing his Arts degree in 1916. After earning his law degree, he quickly became a prominent barrister in Edmonton. He was active in the Board of Trade and the local Chamber of Commerce, serving as its president in 1924. He was also a member of the University of Alberta Senate for some years. In 1932, because of failing health, he left Edmonton, relocating in St. Petersberg , Florida, where he died at the age of 47, leaving his wife and young family.
Maimie Shaw Simpson, ’22 BSc(Arts), ’25 MSc, ’30 BEd, was born in Belfast, Northern Ireland, in 1897. After graduating from the University of Alberta with degrees in Arts and Education, she taught at Garneau High School in Edmonton before returning to the University in 1946 as the adviser for women students and an associate professor of education. In 1951, she was named dean of women, a position she held until she retired in 1960. A winner of the Alumni Association’s Alumni Golden Jubilee Award, she spent her retirement years in Victoria.
Samuel Ralph Laycock, ’16 MA, ’20 BDiv, ’23 BEd, was born in Marmora, Ontario, in 1891. He received his BA from the University of Toronto before moving to Edmonton, where he taught math and Latin for five years while earning a MA from the University of Alberta. During the First World War, he enlisted in the Canadian Signals Corps and served in France. After demobilization he joined the staff of the U of A and earned a master’s degree in education. He attended summer sessions at Columbia and Harvard before enrolling at the University of London, from which he received a PhD in 1927. That same year he was appointed assistant professor of educational psychology at the newly formed School of Education at the University of Saskatchewan. He was promoted to full professor in 1929 and served as dean of education from 1947 to 1954. Upon retirement he continued to teach summer session courses at a number of Canadian and American universities and in 1958 accepted a University of British Columbia appointment as special lecturer. He was the author of 14 books and published more than 700 articles, as well as conducting the CBC’s School for Parents for 18 years. He also pioneered the Canadian Home and School and Parent-Teacher movement and served on a number of boards, councils, committees and commissions. Among the many honours bestowed upon him were an honorary degree from the University of Saskatchewan and the Medal of Service of the Order of Canada. He died in Vancouver on 5 September 1971.
John Thomas Jones was born in 1898 in Dowlais, South Wales. He earned a BA and an MA from the University of Alberta before obtaining an MA (1928) from Oxford. Jones’s career with the University of Alberta began in 1922-23, when he worked as an instructor of English. From 1928 until 1944, he was an assistant professor of English. Taking military leave from 1942 until 1945, Jones was a sergeant major with the Canadian Officers’ Training Corps. He was also a captain and instructor at the Small Arms School in Nanaimo, British Columbia, and in Wetaskiwin, Alberta. Following the Second World War, Jones returned to the University of Alberta in 1945 and worked that year as an associate professor of English. In 1950, he became a professor of English and was head of the Department of English from 1953 to 1961. In 1964, Jones retired from the University of Alberta and was named a professor emeritus. A part-time chairman of the Alumni Committee for the Acquisition of the Memorial Organ, Jones was also professor-in-residence at Athabasca Hall (1937-38) and a member of the University Senate (1940-42). In 1976, he delivered a Broadus Lecture entitled “Counting Syllables in Verse.” Jones passed away February 12, 1986, in Edmonton. The John Thomas Jones Prize in Milton was established in his honour.
Stella E. Russell
Stella E. Russell (Ruttan) was born in 1885 in Ontario and attended Queen’s University before moving to Strathcona, Alberta, with her mother and enrolling in the University of Alberta in 1910. She was one of the “second seven” women students at the University and proposed that the 14 women students should organize their own society, which she proposed should be named Wauneita from the Cree word for “kind-hearted”—the Wauneita Society would go on to serve as the focal point for women’s activities at the University of Alberta for six decades. After graduating, Russell married and lived in Edmonton until her death in February 1945.
See entry for 1915-16.
Alan Burnside Harvey, ’19 BA, was born in 1899 in Calgary. His father, Horace Harvey, would later serve as chief justice of Alberta and chair of the Board of Governors of the University of Alberta. After earning a BA from the University of Alberta, Alan went to Oxford as a 1919 Rhodes Scholar and later received bachelor’s and master’s degrees in law from that University. He began his law career in Edmonton, serving as an associate crown prosecutor, while also teaching at the University of Alberta law school as a sessional instructor. In 1937, he accepted a writing position with Burroughs and Co., Law Publishers in Toronto, and was later editor of the Ontario Law Reports. In 1956, he was appointed deputy registrar of the Supreme Court of Canada.
William Fulton Gillespie, ’14 BA, professor and head of the Department of Surgery and Clinical Surgery at the University of Alberta from 1925 to 1949, was born in 1891 in Manilla, Ontario. A member in 1917 of the first executive of the University of Alberta Medical Students’ Club, Gillespie earned a BA from the University of Alberta, as well as an MB (1920) and an MS (1929) from the University of Toronto. Gillespie joined the University of Alberta in 1920, launching a career that would span nearly 25 years. He served the University not only as director of Surgical Services at the University of Alberta Hospital and as a member of the Senate, but also as a lecturer of psychology, a lecturer of clinical surgery, an assistant professor of clinical surgery, and a professor of surgery. Between 1931 and 1941, Gillespie taught refresher courses to former medical graduates. In 1955, the W.F. Gillespie Memorial Lecture was established to honour his contributions to the University of Alberta. Named a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada, Gillespie served as the College’s president between 1947 and 1949. He passed away in 1949 in Edmonton.
Laurence Yeomans Cairns, was born in 1892 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. While attending the University of Alberta, Cairns was president of the Literary Society. A member of the University’s first graduating class, he also received an LLB from the University of Alberta in 1915. During the First World War, Cairns served as both a sergeant and a gunner. Between 1930 and 1951, he
was a lawyer with the firm of Wallbridge, Henwood & Gibson and a part-time lecturer in law and commerce at the University of Alberta. He was very involved with the University and was a founder of the Friends of the University, a member of the Board of Governors and chancellor of the University of Alberta between 1958 and 1964. His contributions to the University earned him an honorary Doctor of Laws degree in 1955 and a 1964 Alumni Golden Jubilee Award. The L.Y. Cairns Memorial Bursary is named in his honour. Appointed as King’s Counsel of Alberta in 1935, Cairns was judge in the District Court of Northern Alberta and in the Supreme Court of Alberta between 1957 and 1965. He was also vice-consul for Finland, honorary president of the Junior Chamber of Commerce, chair of the Edmonton Public School Board, a member of the Northern Alberta Old Timers’ Association, and president of the Alberta Law Society in 1950. He passed away in 1967 in Edmonton.
George D. Misener
George David Misener, ’12 BA, ’22 MA, born in Norwich, Ontario, was one of the original 45 students who attended the University of Alberta when it opened in 1908. He was described as a particularly studious type and concentrated on classics, a subject he taught in Alberta schools for a number of years. In 1913 he completed a theology course at Alberta College South and was named that College’s registrar the following year. After a stint as a missionary in the Peace River Country, he attended Camrose Normal School and then joined the staff of Edmonton’s Alex Taylor School, where he was principal from 1917 to 1920. The founder and first president of the Alberta Teachers’ Alliance (now the Alberta Teachers’ Association), he would later hold teaching and administrative positions in a number of Edmonton schools, earning a doctoral degree from the University of Toronto along the way.
Henry Alexander Dyde, was a partner in the law firm Milner, Steer, Dyde in Edmonton from 1924 to 1969. Born in Kingston, Ontario, in 1896, he was a member of a family prominent in law, politics, and religion. During the Second World War, he acted as military secretary to the Minister of Defence. He was a lecturer in law and political science at the University of Alberta from the 1920s through the 1940s. He was made an Officer of the Order of the British Empire in 1945. Throughout his life, Dyde was active in the Liberal Party, supported several local arts organizations, and was a benefactor to the University. Among other gifts, he and his wife donated the land that became the Devonian Botanic Garden.
James Roy Drysdale, ’12 BA, was born in Colchester County, Nova Scotia, in 1888 and spent a year at Dalhousie University in Halifax before enrolling in the University of Alberta. In 1917, he enlisted with the 196th Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force and served overseas, participating in the Battle of Lens and the Battle of Passchendaele, where he was injured. He returned to Edmonton in 1919 and began a private practice of law. In 1920 he formed a partnership with S.S. Cormack. He died in 1954.
Roy Chavatte Jackson, ’15 BA, was born in Hensall, Ontario, in 1886. During the First World War, he served overseas with the Royal Canadian Artillery. Afrter his military service, he returned to Edmonton, where he was admitted to the bar in 1922 and where he would practice law for his entire career. In January 1946 he was appointed to the honorary position of King’s Counsel. He died in 1956.
Henry Jackson Wilson, ’15 BA, was born in 1896 in Strathcona, Alberta. After graduating with a bachelor of arts degree from the University of Alberta, he went on to serve overseas during the First World War. After the War, he began his lengthy law career in Edmonton. After practising as a solicitor in the provincial Attorney General’s department, in 1943 he was named deputy attorney general of Alberta. He held that position until 1962, at which time he was appointed to the bench and served as a provincial court magistrate in Edmonton.
1937 / 1938
Francis Stacey McCall, ’11 BA, ’13 MA, was the first student to enroll in the University of Alberta—it has been recorded that he “hung around Strathcona for two days, staking out his territory on Duggan Street to ensure that his name would be first on the matriculation list.” McCall, who was a practising Methodist minister while attending the University, went on to become the president of Alberta College. He was the University of Alberta’s first Students’ Union president, and the first SU president to serve two consecutive terms of office. Born at St. Williams, Ontario, in 1881, he originally took up the profession of teaching and served as a school principal before volunteering for mission work in northwestern Canada. He was stationed in southern Alberta at Fort Macleod for a time, and rode thousands of miles on horseback through the territory. Later he returned east, going to Toronto, where he pursued a theological course at Victoria University. He then again came to the West and for a time before he enrolled at the University of Alberta upon its opening he both taught and was a student at Alberta College-attending college as a student in the morning sessions and then teaching through the afternoon period. In 1913, he was appointed principal of Alberta College North. He would maintain close ties to the University his entire life, serving on both the Senate and Board of Governors.
Robert Howard Dobson, ’11 BA, ’13 MA, came to Edmonton from Ontario in 1903 and was the first principal of Edmonton’s Queen Alexandra School. When the University of Alberta
commenced its operation in 1908, he was one of three students to enroll with advanced standing and earned a bachelor’s degree in 1911 and an MA two years later. He was principal of Lethbridge High School from 1913 until 1919 and then a school inspector until 1923. That year he returned to the classroom, teaching at Victoria High School in Edmonton until his retirement in June 1948. He died in September of that same year.
1940 / 1941 / 1942 / 1943 / 1944
Guthrie Brown Sanford, was born in 1890 in King’s County, Nova Scotia. After graduating from the University of Alberta, he earned a PhD from the University of Minnesota, and a teaching certificate from Calgary Normal School. In recognition of his academic achievement, he was presented with a 1920 Governor General’s Gold Medal and a Caleb Dorr Fellowship. A laboratory assistant and lecturer in plant science at the University of Alberta from 1918 to 1922, he was officer-in-charge of the Plant Pathology Lab of the Federal Department of Agriculture at the University of Saskatchewan for the next five years before assuming the same role at the University of Alberta from 1927 to 1955. During his nearly 30 years with the University of Alberta, Sanford acted as secretary and president of the Agricultural Club (1920), was a member of the Senate from 1929 to 1946, and a served on the Board of Governors from 1939 to 1944. The author of such papers as “Potato Seed Treatment” and “Potato Diseases,” Sanford was made a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and served as president of the Canadian Phytopathological Society. He passed away in 1977 in Edmonton.
Hugh J. Macdonald
1945 / 1946
Hugh John MacDonald, ’21 BA, ’23 LLB, was born in 1899 in South Hanson, Massachusetts, and came to Canada with his family in 1912. During the First World War, he served with the U.S. Army. The principal of Banff Schools from 1923 to 1927, he began the practice of law in 1927 in Edmonton. A civic alderman for a number of years, he was named a King’s Counsel in 1940. That same year he was elected to the Alberta Legislature, where he served a single term before choosing not to stand for re-election. In 1944, he was appointed a judge of the trial division of the Supreme Court of Alberta and would later serve on the Alberta Court of Appeal. In his younger days, MacDonald was well known in Edmonton as an athlete and was later the honorary president of the Edmonton Old Timers’ Baseball Association. He died in 1965.
1947 / 1948
William Herbert Swift, ’24 BA, ’27 MA, ’30 BEd, ’68 LLD (Honorary), was born in Edmonton in 1904 and spent his early years in Tofield, Alberta. His professional career spanned over six decades, covering work as a teacher and educator of teachers, school inspector, author, educational administrator and, eventually, senior public servant. He had direct experience with, and was a major influence on, many of the major changes in educational philosophy and practice in Alberta, particularly from an administrative perspective. In 1935, after having held various teaching positions in Alberta and having served as a school inspector, Swift joined the staff of the Edmonton Normal School, while also serving as the director of the Education Summer School at the University of Alberta. In 1940, having completed a doctoral degree from Stanford University while on leave-of-absence from his Edmonton Normal School position, Swift was appointed principal of Calgary Normal School. In 1943, he was named chief inspector of school’s by Alberta’s department of education. He then served briefly as chief superintendent of schools for the province before becoming Alberta’s deputy-minister of education in 1946. He would hold that position for 20 years. Swift, who later served as chair of Alberta’s Universities Commission, received the Alumni Golden Jubilee Award in 1961 and an honorary degree from the University of Alberta in 1968.
Barclay W. Pitfield
1949 / 1950
Barclay Wallace Pitfield, ’34 BSc(Eng), was born in 1910 in Edmonton. He had a lengthy career at Northwest Industries of Edmonton. (At one time NWI’s aircraft repair division reportedly employed 1,000 persons, most of them skilled mechanics.) In 1951 he was promoted from his position as NWI’s managing director to its vice-president. In 1963 he stepped down as the company’s president but continued to work with it as a consultant. Among his many professional affiliations, Pitfield was vice-president of the Alberta and North West Chamber of Mines and Resources and served as a director of the National Air Industries and Transport Association. He also served terms on the University’s Board of Governors and Senate. He passed away in Edmonton in 1976.
1951 / 1952
Angus Cecil McGugan, ’29 MD, was born in Alvinston, Ontario, in 1895. He received his medical degree from University of Alberta in 1929 and began practice in Edmonton the same year. After serving as director of Alberta’s division of communicable diseases from 1930 until 1935, he became the medical officer at the mental health facility in Ponoka, Alberta. In 1938, he left that position to become Alberta’s medical inspector of hospitals and assistant deputy minister of health. He later served as superintendent at University of Alberta Hospital for 18 years, from 1942 until 1960. In 1959, he became the first Albertan to receive the George Findlay Stephens Memorial Award for outstanding hospital service. During his career, he served as president of Alberta Blue Cross, of the Associated Hospitals of Alberta, and of the Canadian Hospital Association. He was also, for eight years, the regent for Western Canada on the board of regents of the American College of Hospital Administrators. In addition, he served two terms as an Edmonton city councillor. He died in 1972.
1953 / 1954
John Christian Kenneth “Ken” Madsen, ’39 BCom, lived the last 46 years of his life in Banff, Alberta. After graduating from the University of Alberta, he did postgraduate work in business administration at Northwestern University in Chicago. During the Second World War, he served with the RCAF as a wing commander. In 1958 he joined the Banff School of Fine Arts, where he was associate director and manager until 1971, and then manager of visual arts from 1972 until 1977. He was credited with attracting and befriending talented artists who taught and studied at The Banff Centre. He also served as secretary-treasurer and a member of the board of the Banff School of Advanced Management. Active in the Banff community, he was a member of the Rotary Club; a dedicated supporter of the Whyte Museum, the Banff Mineral Springs Hospital and the Banff Public Library; a fundraiser for the construction of the Banff Senior’s Centre; and was a member of the Banff Springs Hotel Golf Club for 45 years. He passed away in Banff in 2004 at the age of 88 years. The path from The Banff Centre to the town is named after him.
1955 / 1956 / 1956-57
Francis Rodney Pike was born in Vancouver, British Columbia in 1912 and moved with his family to Edmonton in 1915. In 1934 he was a junior at the St. Jean Baptiste Market Branch of the Bank of Montreal in Montreal, Quebec. He joined the Canadian Navy in September 1939 and served for a time with the Royal Navy. In 1944, he became a captain in the Canadian Navy and commanded the corvette H.M.C.S. Orangeville during the Battle of the Atlantic. Returning to Edmonton, he served as the manager of the North Alberta Branch of the Canadian Life Assurance Company. Extremely active in the community, he served on the board of the Joint Service Colleges, was a member of the advisory board of the Banff School of Advanced Management, and was designated a member-at-large of the Chamber of Commerce. After leaving paid employment, he was active with the Canadian Executive Service Organization, providing his expertise to a number of projects and serving on the organization’s board.
John West “Jack” Chalmers, ’32 BEd, ’35 MA, ’41 MEd, ’90 MA, was born in Winnipeg in 1910. In 1931, he moved to Alberta, where he would spend the rest of his life. After a career as a teacher, principal, and administrator with the Alberta Department of Education, he joined the staff of the University of Alberta Faculty of Education in 1969 as an associate professor of educational foundations. He also acted as the director of an intercultural program aimed at training teachers planning to work in northern native communities. In 1975, he retired from the University of Alberta, becoming a professor emeritus, but he taught for another 12 years at Concordia College in Edmonton, retiring from that school at age 77. While teaching at Concordia, he was a student himself and earned another master’s degree from the University of Alberta in 1990—this degree came 44 years after his doctorate earned at Stanford in 1946. Chalmers was a prolific author of textbooks, poetry, and local histories, including a biography of educator Milton Ezra LaZerte. Prior to his death in 1998, Chalmers donated his personal collection of books to the University.
Tevie H. Miller
Tevie Harold Miller, ’49 BA, ’50 LLB, ’91 LLD (Honorary), made major contributions to campus life while at the University of Alberta and served as the Students’ Union president in 1949-50. A dedicated practitioner of law, he received a judiciary appointment in 1974 and rose to become associate chief justice of the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench, a position he held from 1984 to 93. He was also deputy judge of the Supreme Court of the Northwest and Yukon Territories. During these years, Miller’s involvement with the University did not slow down. He became a member of the Senate and of the Board of Governors and was the 13th chancellor of the University of Alberta from 1986 to 1990. The Tevie H. Miller Teaching Excellence Award, given to professors in the Faculty of Law, as well as the Eva Toban Scholarship, named after his mother and awarded to students in the Department of Design, are funded by donations made by Miller. He was also active in the larger community, serving as chairman of the board of the Edmonton Jewish Community Council, the United Way, and the Edmonton Symphony Society. In addition, he was one of the founders of the Edmonton Community Foundation. Miller had a lifelong love of sports and, as well as being a director of the Edmonton Eskimos, was involved in organizing the 1978 Commonwealth Games and the 1983 Universiade Games. The Tevie H. Miller Heritage School Program in Edmonton, a specialized school teaching those with language learning disabilities and disorders, is named in his honour. A 1996 recipient of the University of Alberta Distinguished Alumni Award he passed away in 1996 at the age of 68.
Bruce Albert Burgess, ’48 BSc(Eng), was born in Calgary in 1926. After graduation he went to work for the Truscon Steel Company of Canada in Ontario. Returning to Calgary, he served as manager of Bell and Morris Limited, a building company, before becoming vice-president of Burgess Building Supplies Limited. In 1958, he was instrumental in reforming an alumni branch in Calgary.
Samuel Robert Rogers, ’49 BSc(Pharm), was born in Forestburg, Alberta, in 1923 and practised pharmacy in Edmonton.
Haughton Gimby Thomson, ’38 BCom, was born in Coronation, Alberta, in 1914 and began his accounting career with Francis Winspear in Edmonton. In June 1942, he enlisted with the RCAF and in 1945 returned from overseas with the rank of flight lieutenant and received the Distinguished Flying Cross. Back in Edmonton, he resumed his accounting career with Winspear and Hamilton and was managing partner of the Winspear firm at the time of his retirement in 1979. After his retirement he continued to provide his expertise to Sunwapta Broadcasting and its president, Dr. G.R.A. Rice, and he helped in the sale of Sunwapta’s radio and television stations in 1988. Active in the community and in his profession, he was the chairman of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Alberta in 1960 and sat on the Alberta Judicial Council. He died in October 2005.
Donald Russell Stanley, ’40 BSc(Eng), ’88 DSc (Honorary), has been a leader in the field of environmental engineering and has also achieved recognition for his numerous community, athletic, and business endeavours. Born in Edmonton in 1917, he participated in many sports throughout high school and University, including basketball, football, and soccer. His major athletic accomplishments were as a hockey player, and he was a member of the Edmonton Mercuries team that won the World Hockey Championships in England in 1950. Following his service in the Royal Canadian Air Force as an engineering officer from 1942 until 1945, Stanley returned to Edmonton to begin his civilian engineering career. During his time as director of environmental engineering for the Government of Alberta, he received a Rockefeller Foundation Fellowship, allowing him to attend Harvard University, where he received his MSc in 1948, followed by his doctorate in environmental engineering in 1953. In 1954, he founded Stanley Associates Engineering, a one-man operation that grew into the Stanley Technology Group Inc, an international, multi-disciplinary organization with locations in over 40 countries worldwide. The Association of Consulting Engineers of Canada has honoured him with the Beaubien Award, the highest mark of distinction for a Canadian consulting engineer. He is also a winner of the Engineering Institute of Canada’s Julian C. Smith Medal for achievement in the development of Canada and was the recipient of an honorary degree from the University of Alberta. While building an international reputation for engineering design, Stanley also found time to serve a number of community concerns and was president of both the Edmonton and Alberta Chambers of Commerce. He died in 2001.
A. Venor Calhoun, ’51 BSc, ’53 DDS, was born in Edmonton in 1929 and grew up in the Garneau community, where he attended University High School, which was located in the current Corbett Hall. He has lived in Edmonton all of his life, except for 17 years at the Summer Village of Kapasiwin (at the east end of Lake Wabamun), where he served a term as mayor. After graduation, Calhoun practised dentistry in Edmonton’s Tegler Building for 18 years (the first four with his father) before establishing the Academy Dental Group in the Baker Centre in 1972. He retired from practice in 1994, but continued as a dental consultant with the Workers’ Compensation Board, a position he held for 10 years. A former president of the Edmonton District Dental Society, he also served as president of the Grandview Community League and realized the construction of the Grandview Tennis Courts. In addition, he served on the dental health committee of Edmonton’s Boyle McCauley Health Centre.
John E. “Jack” Bradley, ’40 MD, ’72 LLD (Honorary), is an inductee to the Canadian Medical Hall of Fame. After serving in the Medical Branch of the RCAF during the Second World War, he co-founded the Wainwright Medical Clinic, where he practised medicine until 1960. He then entered the field of Health Services Administration and worked to provide Albertans with an efficient medical delivery system, long before universal medical care came to Canada. From 1964 until 1972, Bradley was executive director of Alberta’s Glenrose Provincial Hospital, which he developed into a major resource for the treatment of handicapped and emotionally disturbed children. He subsequently served as chair of the Alberta Hospital Services Commission. In 1977, Premier Peter Lougheed, who was in the process of creating the Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research, appointed Dr. Bradley as his special advisor on medical research. In this office, Bradley was able to use his long experience and diplomatic skills to fashion an institution of national and international research excellence. In 1972, Dr. Bradley was awarded an honorary degree by the University of Alberta. In addition to his contributions to the field of medicine, he is a chairman emeritus of the University of Alberta Board of Governors and was a member of the National Advisory Committee for the Red Cross.
George Ross, ’38 BSc(Eng), was born in Edmonton in 1914. After graduation he worked for the City of Edmonton’s engineering department while also on staff of the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of Alberta. In 1940, he accepted an appointment with the federal department of mines and resources, working at Yoho, Glacier, Revelstoke and Kooteney Parks from a base in Radium, B.C. During the Second World War, he served with the RCAF and was second in command of the flight school at Malton, Ontario. After his discharge, he worked briefly with Hamilton Bridge Works in Ontario before returning to Alberta as the proprietor of the Athabasca Hotel in Jasper. In 1959 he became vice-president of Inland Cement in Edmonton and was named Inland Cement’s president in 1977. He died in Vancouver, B.C., in approximately 1995.
Bruce Cavanagh Whittaker, ’56 LLB, was born in Edmonton in 1914. As a student, he received the Gold Medal in Law and was admitted to the Alberta bar on June 21, 1937. He practised first with the Edmonton law firm of Clement and Whittaker which merged with the firm of Parlee, Smith, and Parlee in 1943 to form Smith, Clement, Parlee and Whittaker. He specialized in litigation, corporate and insurance law. Whittaker was appointed to the District Court of Northern Alberta in 1963 and retired from the bench in 1978. From 1964 until 1978, he served as chair of Alberta’s Gas Utilities Board.
Douglas C. Ritchie, was a clinical professor of obstetrics and gynecology at the University of Alberta from 1949 until 1977. His sub-specialty was gynecological pathology. He died in 1979 at the age of 63.
Charles Leslie “Les” Usher, ’49 BSc(Ag), was involved with the 4-H organization in Alberta for many years and is in that organization’s hall of fame. He was raised on a ranch in the Big Valley area, and was a member of 4-H while growing up. Following his graduation from the University of Alberta, he became the assistant supervisor of junior clubs with Alberta Agriculture and served as supervisor of 4-H from 1955 until 1966. Later as deputy minister of the Alberta Department of Youth (from 1966 until 1971), the Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation (from 1971 until 1975), and the Department of Culture (from 1975 until 1980), he was very active in the total youth movement of Alberta. He was also involved with other youth clubs such as the Boy Scouts and the Junior Forest Wardens. Through his dedication and efforts, he was able to establish many of the 4-H programs that exist today, including the popular public speaking competitions. He was also instrumental in organizing the first Club Week. He was actively involved with the Canadian 4-H Council, and was the first president of the Canadian 4-H Foundation. In 1975-76, he was the president of the Institute of Public Administration of Canada.
Norman A. Lawrence
Norman A. “Norm” Lawrence, ’41 BSc(Eng), was born in Wimborne, Alberta, in 1918 and attended school in Fort McMurray, Edmonton and Taber, Alberta, before his family settled in Turner Valley, where he completed grades five to 12. After high school, he worked in the oil field before he broke a leg in an accident and subsequently entered the University of Alberta. After graduation, he worked briefly with Imperial Oil as a surveyor before joining the Royal Canadian Engineers and seeing service in England, France, Belgium and Holland. Returning to Alberta, he worked a year with the City of Edmonton and another with C.W. Carry Limited before beginning a 24-year career as a municipal engineer with Associated Engineering in Edmonton, where he would go on to serve first as a vice-president and later president and then chairman. Active in the community, he is a former president and director of the Edmonton Boy Scout Foundation and served terms of both the University of Alberta Board of Governors and Senate. Other positions he held include president of the Alberta and North West Chamber of Mines and general chairman (1973) of the National Northern Development Conference. In 1969 and 1971, he organized and chaired the Focus North Conferences. At the civic level, he served as a member of the Edmonton building by-law appeals board and the Spirit of Edmonton Committee. Among his numerous professional awards are the 1988 Professional Achievement Award from APEGGA and a special award from the Consulting Engineers of Alberta recognizing his work related to the Far North.
Constantine Kosowan, ’50 BA, ’51 LLB, was born in Lethbridge, Alberta, in 1919. His father died from influenza before Kosowan was born, and he was the youngest of six children his mother was raising alone until she remarried. That marriage brought three step-siblings and later two half-siblings into his large blended family. Coming from such a large family where money was scarce forced Kosowan to undertake many jobs in his early years-these included magician’s assistant, tea-leaf reader and mail sorter, as well as guitar and violin player. It was while playing in a western dance band at Chipman, Alberta, that Kosowan met the woman who would be his wife of 65 years and would encourage him to enter law school at the University of Alberta. At the time he entered University, Kosowan was a veteran, having served in an administrative capacity with the RCAF; he was also the father of a four-year-old son. Shortly after his graduation, Kosowan was in court regarding a motor vehicle accident. Opposing him was an articling student named Ed Wachowich. Although Kosowan won the case, he was so impressed with Wachowich, that he proposed a partnership that became the Kosowan and Wachowich law firm. The two became lifelong friends and collaborated in the Kosowan-Wachowich Wild Game Dinners that annually raised funds for a variety of charitable organizations. Kosowan was named a provincial court judge in 1976 and became chief judge of the Alberta Provincial Court in 1980. He died in 2006.
Arthur James Anderson, ’36 BSc(Pharm), was born and raised in Calgary. After graduating from the University of Alberta, he worked at the Charles Camsell Indian Hospital before joining the RCAF in 1942. Following a medical discharge, he attended the University of Washington, where he earned a master of science degree in pharmacy. In 1949, he joined the University of Alberta as a pharmacy lecturer. During the course of his academic career at the University, he twice served as acting dean of the Faculty of Pharmacy-in 1968-69 and in 1970-71. His contributions to his profession were recognizd with honorary life membership in the Alberta College of Pharmacists.He died in Edmonton in January 1986 at the age of 69.
Cyril J. McAndrews, ’50 BSc(Ag), was born in Retlaw, Alberta, in 1926. In a career dedicated to the many facets of the agriculture industry, he held various positions-including assistant deputy minister of agriculture-within Alberta Agriculture from 1950 until his retirement in 1983. He received a master of agriculture degree from Colorado State University in 1962 and in 1968, he acquired a diploma in management from Banff School of Advanced Management. He later worked for the Extension and Colleges Division of the University of Alberta, Department of Agriculture. While working with Alberta Agriculture, he had executive responsibilities on an international commission on Irrigation, Drainage and Flood Control, and from 1980 until 1983, he served as vice-president of the commission, which involved 75 countries. He also accepted another three-year posting in Indonesia as Canadian director of a Canadian International Development Agency project. Active in the community, he served on the University of Alberta Senate, was a member of the St. Michelles Hospital Board of Directors in Lethbridge, was a member of the Canadian National Committee on Irrigation and Drainage from 1976 onward, and belonged to both the Agricultural Institute of Canada and the Alberta Institute of Agrologists. After his retirement from Alberta Agriculture, he and his wife founded McAndrews Travel in Edmonton.
Garth Fryett, ’48 BSc, ’52 LLB, was born in Shaunavon, Saskatchewan, and was a prominent member of Edmonton’s legal community for many years. He was a senior partner in the Edmonton law firm Brownlee Fryett and served as the president of the Edmonton Bar Association. Active in the community he served as president of the Laurier Heights Home and School Association, was a member of the University of Alberta Senate, and served on the University’s Board of Governors.
Wilson Bert Sterling, ’53 BSc(Eng), was born and raised in Red Deer, Alberta. After graduating from the University of Alberta with a degree in civil engineering, he joined Canadian Utilities Ltd. In 1966, he was promoted to become the electrical utility’s chief production engineer, and he later became the company’s vice-president in charge of production. In 1973, when Canadian Utilities established Alberta Power Ltd., he was appointed senior vice-president and chief operating officer for the new utility. In addition, Sterling was a founding member and the first steering committee chairman of Alberta’s Electric Utility Planning Council. He was also a director of Alberta Power, Yukon Electric Co. Ltd., the Northwest Electric Light and Power Association and the Canadian Electrical Association. His community involvement included membership in the Edmonton Rotary Club, the Energy Institute of Canada, the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce, and the Alberta Chamber of Resources. He also served on the board of Governors and Senate of the University of Alberta. He died in Edmonton in July 1980 at the age of 48.
Bernard S. Adler
Bernard S. Adler, ’57 DDS, was born in Vegreville, Alberta, and educated there before coming to the University of Alberta. After graduation from dental school, he began a private practice of dentistry, practising at the same Edmonton location for the entirety of his lengthy career. Active in the community, he served a term as president of the Beth Israel Synagogue.
Arthur M. “Bud” Arbeau, had a distinguished 35-year career in education, particularly with the Edmonton Catholic School Board. He was a teacher, vice-principal, principal, area superintendent and assistant superintendent. In addition, he served on the Edmonton Catholic School Selection Committee, the Newman Theological College Bursaries Selection Committee, the Professional Improvement Leaves Committee and the Ukrainian Parents Advisory Committee. Arbeau’s dedication to the professionalism of teachers was exhibited in his contributions to the Alberta Teacher’s Association. He served as local president and a delegate to the Annual Representative Assembly and on numerous committees before serving as ATA vice-president in 1966-68 and then as ATA president for1968-1969. In 1990, the ATA named him an honorary member, recognizing his lifelong dedication to education. Arbeau also shared his time and talents with his community and church. For his many contributions to the community, Arbeau received the Silver Jubilee medal and the Queen’s Gold Medal. He died in 2004.
Robert J. Edgar
Robert J. “Bob” Edgar, was born in 1930 in Innisfail, Alberta and attended Red Deer Composite High School, where he became the first president of the Students Union. He also served as president of the Students Union of the University in 1954-1955. He was an active member of the Delta Upsilon Fraternity and was on the DU International Board. Edgar operated a pharmacy in Westlock, Alberta, for many years. While in Westlock, he was president of the Chamber of Commerce and the Kinsman Club. He was also a member of the Immaculata Hospital Advisory Board and president of the Alberta and the Canadian Pharmaceutical Associations. In 1973, he and his family moved to Edmonton, where he earned his MBA and began a long and successful career with the Alberta Department of Consumer and Corporate Affairs as the executive assistant to the deputy minister. He also served as a member of the University of Alberta Board of Governors and of the University’s Senate and sat on the board of the Friends of the Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium Society. In addition, he made significant contributions, as a founding member, to the development of the Learning Disabilities Associations at both the local and provincial levels, and to the Edmonton Academy Society for Learning Disabled, where he served on the board. He died in 2008.
F. Morris Flewwelling, ’64 BEd, was born in Mirror, Alberta. After graduating from the University of Alberta, he worked as a special education and regular classroom teacher in Red Deer until 1978. From 1978 until1996, he was the director of the Red Deer and District Museum and the Kerry Wood Nature Centre, and in 1996 he became president of Bar V.J. Management Consulting Limited. As Red Deer’s mayor for three terms, which ended in 2013, and a member of council for 21 years, Flewwelling was known for his stylish flair, as well as his work to make Red Deer more liveable and culturally diverse-a commitment that was honoured with a 2012 Alberta Museums Association Lieutenant Governor’s Award. He has received a number of other honours as well, including the Queen’s Golden Jubilee Medal in 2002, the Order of Canada in 1997, the Alberta Achievement Award in 1990, and a Red Deer Citizen of the Year award in 1982.
W. D. Usher
William David “Dave” Usher, was both a professional engineer and land surveyor; however the greater portion of his career was devoted to land surveying. Born in Scollard, Alberta, in 1921, he first became acquainted with surveying during his time with the First Canadian Survey Regiment, Royal Artillery while serving in Europe during the Second World War. After several summers with Ducks Unlimited and the PFRA, while a student at the University of Alberta and then a brief stint with the City of Edmonton in the water works department, he joined C.B. Atkins, Land Surveyor in Edmonton. There, he was part of a new generation of land surveyors and, upon Mr. Atkin’s retirement in 1957, the Atkins surveying company became W.D. Usher and Associates, then Usher Canada Limited and is currently operating under the name MMM Group. Usher served as president until he retired in 1979. During his career, he served as president of the Alberta Land Surveyors Association, as well as on many committees with the ALSA, and he is one of the relatively few who have been named honorary life members of the Association. Perhaps the most significant and lasting influence Dave had on the surveying community was the time and effort he, along with others, spent to bring the geomatics program to Alberta at the University of Calgary. He died in 2007.
Jean E. Mucha
Jean E. Mucha, ’65 BEd, ’79 MEd, is a tireless volunteer and promoter of lifelong education and local history. An educator whose career with Edmonton Public Schools spanned 37 years, Mucha has played significant roles with the Edmonton Historical Board, the Edmonton Public Library, and the University of Alberta Alumni Association. As a board member of WIN House, she was fundamental in the creation of the Elderly Adult Resource Services Program, established to prevent elder abuse. She has received many honours for her volunteer work, including Canada’s IYOP Volunteer Award, the Ministers Seniors Service Award from the Alberta Government, and the City of Edmonton’s Salute to Excellence Award. She also received longstanding service awards from her fraternities, Phi Delta Kappa and Delta Kappa Gamma. Mucha is a 2005 recipient of the University of Alberta Alumni Association’s Honour Award.
Frank Kozar, ’56 BEd, ’63 BA, ’67 MSc, ’69 PhD, was born in 1929 in Kavanaugh, Alberta, and received his elementary education at Sunnybrook School. His goal was to study botany at the University of Alberta; however, because he could not afford the expense of full-time university study, he completed his degrees through summer sessions, all the while teaching in the Strawberry School Division south-west of Edmonton. After the completion of his PhD, Kozar moved to the Peace Country as chairman of liberal studies at Grande Prairie Regional College. He went on from there to positions at Grant MacEwan College and the University of Alberta, as well as consulting for the Alberta Department of Education and being a sessional instructor for King’s College. He was later affiliated with Prairie Biological Research Laboratories in Edmonton. Kozar had a lifelong interest in working with the Royal Canadian Army Cadets and was a major in that organization. He passed away February 19, 2005 in Edmonton, aged 75.
Edward Robert Wachowich, ’53 BA, ’54 LLB, was born in Opal, Alberta in 1929. After graduating from the University of Alberta, he practiced law in Edmonton with the firm originally known as Kosowan and Wachowich and later Wachowich and Company. In 1985, he was appointed to the bench and, from 1989 until his retirement in 1999, held the office of chief judge of the Provincial Court of Alberta. Throughout his life, Wachowich gave extensively to the community through his involvement in his profession, his public service and volunteer work with Knights of Columbus and other organizations. He was president of the Alberta Bar Association in 1979-80; was president of St. Andrews Housing Limited, which operated a housing complex for seniors; and was a director of the Alberta Catholic Hospitals Foundation. He died in 2012 in Edmonton.
Robert Heyworth, ’70 BSc, ’71 Dip(Ed), ’77 MEd, had a distinguished career in education in St. Albert, Alberta. After teaching at Paul Kane High School in that community, he had administrative appointments with the St. Albert Protestant Separate School District, serving for a time as supervisor of education.
Burt P. Krull, ’66 BSc, retired following a long career as a chartered accountant in Edmonton. He was a partner in the firm Sax, Zimmel, Stewart and Company. For many years, he served as the auditor for the Alumni Association’s financial statements.
Kenneth H. Christensen, ’76 BSc(Eng), ’79 MBA, worked as the supervising engineer, rates and cost of service, for Alberta Power.
Barbara Kozoriz, ’58 BSc(HEc), was born in Montreal, Quebec, in 1938. She later moved to Edmonton with her family and completed high school at St. Joseph’s in Edmonton. While a student at the University of Alberta, she was a member of the RCAF University Reserve as a flight cadet for three years. Upon graduation, she joined the regular forces and was promoted to flying officer. With the air force, she was responsible for food services at Namao, Station Edmonton, Resolute Bay and for in-flight food. In 1962, she began a 32-year career at the Royal Alexandra Hospitals in Edmonton, where whe was director of dietetics and later, from 1989 until her retirement in 1994, the director of operational planning. A former president of the Dietitians of Alberta, she also served on the University of Alberta Senate and Board of Governors. Active in the Edmonton Strathcona Lion’s Club, she has represented her Lions’ district on the Lions’ Eye Research Institute of Northern Alberta.
Reginald S. Macdonald, ’77 BSc, ’80 BA, ’83 LLB, branched out from his career as a lawyer and served as president of two pasta-related companies, MacDonald’s Grains and Pasta and Continental Pastas Inc. He currently resides in Scotland, where he is the regional director for RE/MAX Scotland.
Marilou Neufeld, ’64 Dip(Nu), ’65 BScN, worked early in her career as a nurse at the University Hospital teaching obstetrics, and then at Edmonton’s Royal Alexandra Hospital, where she worked in pediatrics, did teaching related to diabetes and served as a shift supervisor. Neufeld also taught health promotion programs in schools. After retiring, she served three years on a disability appeals panel for the Canada Pension Plan, and five years on Alumni Council. She belongs to the Red Hat Society—an international organization for women over 50.
Marilyn Shortt, ’71 MEd, worked with the Edmonton Catholic School Board as a social studies consultant. Her master’s thesis was published as a book with the title An Inquiry Into the Interdisciplinary Approach to the Social Studies. She now resides in Victoria, B.C., where she served as president of the Canadian Club of Victoria.
Christina Andrews, ’86 MLS, began working for the provincial government as a librarian in 1986 and, at the time of her retirement in 2010, was the head librarian for the Government of Alberta. Active in Greek cultural groups, she was president of the Greek Orthodox Community of Edmonton from 2004 until 2006. In addition she served as Canadian president of the Daughters of Penelope, an international women’s organization, from 2010 until 2012.
Grant H. Smith, ’68 BCom, is a one-time “Soft Drink Industry Man of the Year.” he served as president and CEO of HPI Beverages, Western Canada’s largest custom packager of beverages. A former director of Economic Development Edmonton, he now lives in Vancouver.
Bryun W. Sigfstead, ’67 DDS, ’73 Dip(Dent), is currently in active orthodontic practice in Sherwood Park, Alberta, and Lloydminster, Alberta. He is a past-president of the Canadian Dental Association and the Alberta Dental Association, as well as the Western Canada Orthodontic Society and the Edmonton District Dental Society. He has also been a board member or director for numerous community organizations, including the United Way Community Fund, Young Life Canada, and FLIGHT Ministries. For over 25 years, Sigfstead has provided orthodontic services to communities in Canada’s North, including Yellowknife, Inuvik and Rankin Inlet. He is a fellow of the International College of Dentists, the American College of Dentists, and the Academy of Dentistry International.
W. James Beckett
W. James “Jim” Beckett, ’73 BSc(Eng), was born and educated in Edmonton. He joined ATCO Electric (formerly Alberta Power) in 1973 and, prior to his retirement 37 years later, held a variety of positions in the company, including vice-president, transmission; vice-president, commercial; and executive vice-president, regulatory, a position in which he supervised a number of groups within ATCO Electric and ATCO Gas, including the pricing departments of both companies, corporate communications, and government affairs. On retirement, Mr. Beckett was chief regulatory officer of the Utilities Business Group (consisting of ATCO Gas, ATCO Electric, and ATCO Pipelines). In 2010, Mr. Beckett was appointed utility advisor to the City of Edmonton Council, a position which he continues to hold. Mr. Beckett has been an active volunteer at the University of Alberta, having served on the University Senate and on the Board of Governors from 1995 until 1998. Following his term on the Board of Governors, Mr. Beckett served an additional three years as an external member on a Board committee. Mr. Beckett has also been active on the Faculty Advisory Board of the Faculty of Engineering. Professionally, Mr. Beckett has served on the Council of the Association of Professional Engineers, Geologists, and Geophysicists of Alberta (APEGA) and was its president for 2009-2010. Mr. Beckett continues to be active in national engineering issues, representing APEGA on the board of directors of Engineers Canada. Mr. Beckett was Engineers Canada president-elect in 2012-2013 and is the president for 2013-2014.
Lloyd Malin, ’65 BA, ’70 LLB, ’03 LLD (Honorary), is an outstanding Edmontonian who has distinguished himself in both legal and community circles. Appointed to the Edmonton Criminal Division of the Provincial Court of Alberta in 2002, Malin previously had a long and distinguished career as a partner with the national law firm of Fraser Milner Casgrain LLP and was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 1987. During his career Malin has served his university with distinction and commitment in numerous ways, including membership on the University Senate and the Board of Governors—he was acting Board chair in 1997-98 and its vice-chair from 1998 until 2002. His many other community involvements include serving as a director of the Edmonton Airport Authority and as a board member with the Royal Alexandra Hospital, the Edmonton Symphony Society and the Edmonton Art Gallery. Malin received an honorary doctor of laws degree from the University of Alberta in 2003.
Maury Van Vliet
Maury G. Van Vliet, ’61 BSc, ’64 LLB, is chairman of the board of Edmonton-based Environmental Refuelling Systems Inc. A native Edmontonian, he graduated from the University of Alberta with degrees in geology and law prior to being involved with various corporate businesses including Amoco, Enbridge, and Oxford Properties. He was involved in several business ventures as an officer and shareholder in Calgary and Edmonton. Van Vliet was also a partner in a very successful aviation fuel supplier for seven years before establishing Environmental Refuelling Systems Inc. with two of his sons. He has been active in business, community, and sporting organizations for over 40 years.
Peter Graham, ’66 BCom, was born and raised in Edmonton. After graduating from the University of Aberta, he went on to a business career in the transportation industry, holding ownership positions in Hay River Truck Lines Ltd. and Northwest Transport Ltd. In addition he served as president of JKK Holdings, an investment company. Active in the community, he has held numerous board positions with organizations such as Devon Parks and Recreation, the Graminia School Foundation, the Art Gallery of Alberta, the Devonian Gardens, the Greater Edmonton Area Lacrosse Council, the Clifford E. Lee Nature Sanctuary and the Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium. His involvement with the University includes having served on both the Senate and the Board of Governors. He and his wife, Noella, reside on an acreage southwest of Edmonton and have three children, all graduates of the U of A. In his retirement Graham continues to consult in the trucking industry, and he and Noella are busy travelling the world.
Ralph Barclay Young, ’73 MBA, of Edmonton, has earned a distinguished reputation for exemplary leadership in business, industry associations, education, arts and culture, sports, health and wellness, charitable support, religion, governance and community service. In addition to his University of Alberta MBA, he holds a bachelor of science degree in civil engineering from the University of Saskatchewan and earned a certificate with the executive program at Queen’s University in 1996. Recently retired from his position as chief executive officer of Melcor Developments Ltd., he started at Melcor in 1971 as assistant to the manager, land development division, and rose to president in 1997 and CEO three years later. Young has played an integral role in the leadership team that transformed Melcor from a real estate brokerage business with assets of $7.4 million to an influential western Canadian real estate development business with revenues of $220 million and assets of $1.2 billion. He has served as president and a director of the Urban Development Institutes of Edmonton, Alberta and Canada. He chaired the Edmonton Centennial Celebration Committee and Carillon Clock Tower Foundation, and served on the board of directors of the Edmonton Police Foundation and the Edmonton Regional Airports Authority. His extensive community engagement also includes service on the boards of the Winspear Concert Hall Society, the Citadel Theatre, the Edmonton Eskimos Football Club, the Minerva Foundation and the Rotary Club of Edmonton. He has shared his governance expertise as a director or trustee with the Caritas Health Group, Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research and most recently Alberta Innovates–Health Solutions. Deeply committed to expanding educational opportunities that allow individuals to reach their personal potential, Young has served on the boards of MacEwan University and Alberta College. At the University of Alberta he has provided his expertise to the School of Business Advisory Council and the Alberta Business Family Institute, and he has served on the Senate and Board of Governors. Mr. Young has received a University of Alberta Alumni Honour Award, the MacEwan University Distinguished Citizen Award, the City of Edmonton Salute to Excellence Award, the Alberta Centennial Medal and the Queen’s Golden Jubilee Medal. In 2004 he was named by Alberta Venture as one of the 50 most influential people in Alberta.
Lucille R. Walter, ’63 BEd, ’77 Dip(Ed), is a retired Alberta educator with more than 30 years of experience as a teacher and high school counsellor, including 13 years as a department head of student services. In addition to her involvement with the University of Alberta Alumni Council and the University of Alberta Senate, she has contributed to higher education in a number of ways. She is a past chair of the Alberta Council on Admissions and Transfer and of the Students Finance Board, and has served on the Campus Alberta Quality Council. She was also a board member of the Canadian Association for Prior Learning Assessment. Her other contributions include having served as a member of the Alberta Energy and Utilities Board.
2000-01 / 2001-02
D. Bruce Bentley, ’80 BCom, is president and chief executive officer of Maclab Enterprises, an Edmonton-based privately held real-estate management and development company with operations in Alberta, British Columbia, the Northwest Territories and the United States. While at the University of Alberta, he was active in Theta Chi fraternity, serving as its president in 1979-80. In addition, he served as treasurer of the Inter-fraternity Council. Before returning to Edmonton in 1995, Bentley spent 15 years in Calgary and Toronto, holding the office of senior vice-president of Bramalea Inc. immediately before joining Maclab. He has served on the boards of the Edmonton Police Foundation, the Fort Edmonton Management Company, the Winspear Foundation, the Banff Centre Foundation, the Edmonton 2001 Athletics Legacy Foundation, and a number of other charitable organizations and private companies. He is currently the chair of the board of directors of the Edmonton Eskimo Football Club.
2002-03 / 2003-04
Gordon E. W. Barr, ’72 BSc, ’74 BA, ’77 LLB, is an Edmonton native and a founding partner of the law firm Barr Picard. He has practised law in Edmonton since 1977 with a practice concentration in corporate and commercial law. He is active in the Canadian Bar Association and sits as a member of its business law subsection and of its will and estates subsection, having formerly contributed to the national intellectual property subsection. He has been very active in the Legal Education Society of Alberta as head of the legal profession portion of the Bar Admission Course and has lectured and delivered papers on numerous topics to legal groups and the public at large. Very involved in the community, he has served on the International Trade Committee of the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce, is a former director of the Effort Society, was a trustee of the Devonian Botanical Foundation, and was a founder of the University of Alberta Law School Alumni Association. He was appointed to the office of Queen’s Counsel in 1996, received the International Phi of the Year Award from the Phi Delta Theta International Fraternity in 2004 (other recipients include astronaut Neil Armstrong and former U.S. Secretary of State James Baker) and the Alumni Centenary Award from the University of Alberta in 2009.
2004-05 / 2005-06
Richard “Dick” Wilson, ’74 BA, ’75 LLB, is a lifelong resident of Alberta. Since he was admitted to the Alberta Bar in 1976, he has worked exclusively in civil litigation. Mr. Wilson became a partner of the law firm Parlee McLaws in the early 1980s. There he has held a variety of positions, including managing partner of the firm’s Edmonton office. Outside of the office, he has served on the Practice Review Committee of the Law Society of Alberta and as an instructor for the Bart Admission Course of the Legal Education Society of Alberta. A member of the University of Alberta Board of Governors, he chairs the Board’s property and finance committee.
Heike Juegens, ’72 BA, ’79 MEd, ’87 PhD, is a chartered psychologist who works in private practice at Psymetry Psychological and Counselling Services in Edmonton. She has served as a member and appeal panel chair of the College of Alberta Psychologists’ Discipline Committee. Active in the community, she has volunteered with the Children’s Health Foundation, and other school and community organizations. In addition, she has had a long interest in gymnastics and enjoys billeting and hosting gymnasts and University students from around the world.
2007-08 / 2008-09 / 2009-10
James “Jim” Hole, ’79 BSc(Ag), is a co-owner of Hole’s Greenhouses and Gardens, which is located in St. Albert, Alberta, and is one of the largest retail garden centres in Canada. He is a past chair of th Special Crops Committee with the Alberta Agricultural Research Institute, and he currently serves as a director on the Agrivantage Board, an organization dedicated to overseeing
and directing the initiatives of Alberta’s agricultural industry. Hole has written numerous articles on horticulture and gardening issues for the Edmonton Journal, the National Post, Canadian Gardening Magazine, and the Old Farmer’s Almanac. He is also the co-author of a series of gardening books.
2010-11 / 2011-12 / 2012-13
Jane Halford, ’94 BCom, was born and raised in Edmonton and graduated with a Bachelor of Commerce degree from the University of Alberta before earning her CA designation. She held the role of senior manager at Grant Thornton Chartered Accountants LLP, before joining the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Alberta, where she was the director of practice review before becoming the Institute’s chief executive officer and executive director of the Chartered Accountants Education Foundation. Currently, Halford is the president of Halford Consulting, which focuses on enhancing strategic results for executives and business owners. Committed to serving her community, she currently serves on the boards of the Alberta Economic Development Authority, the University of Alberta, Citadel Theatre, and the United Way of the Alberta Capital Region.
Glenn Stowkowy, ’76 BSc(ElecEng), was born and raised in Edmonton. Since his graduation from the University of Alberta he has worked as an electrical engineering consultant for the same firm—Morgan Dowhan Engineering, which was acquired by Stantec in 1996. He is currently a vice-president of Stantec with responsibility for the Buildings Engineering sector. He has been the electrical consultant on numerous notable projects including several facilities at the University of Alberta, including the Electrical and Computer Engineering Research Facility, the Engineering Teaching and Learning Complex, the National Institute of Nanotechnology, the Natural Resources Engineering Facility, the Health Research Innovation Facility, the Centennial Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences and the Edmonton Clinic Health Academy. Stowkowy was also the electrical consultant for the Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute at the University Hospital, and the significant 2012 expansion at the Edmonton International Airport. Active within his profession, he is the past-president of the Edmonton Chapter of the Illuminating Engineering Society of North America. He is also on the executive of the Alberta Chapter of the Canadian Healthcare Engineering Society, and is the Alberta representative on the membership committee for the national executive of the Canadian Healthcare Engineering Society. He is also an associate member of the Edmonton Construction Association and the Building Owner’s Managers Association. In addition, he is currently on the steering committee for the Alberta/Canada Fusion Energy Program, a program dedicated to, and seeking support for, the development of fusion energy as an alternative energy source. His community involvements include volunteering as a coach for 14 years with St. Albert Minor Hockey and serving as a referee for seven years with Hockey Alberta.
Mary Pat Barry
Mary Pat is a University of Alberta graduate with a Master of Arts in Communication and Technology. She is also a graduate of Queen’s University where she completed her undergraduate degree and the Queen's Executive Program. As a business communications professional, Mary Pat has held executive and senior positions most recently as Vice-President, Communications with Alberta Innovates-Technology Futures where she led a communications team supporting AITF's efforts to build globally competitive commerce in Alberta. Previously Mary Pat was Branch Manager, Corporate Communications at the City of Edmonton for five years and Director, Communications with TELUS Corporation where she led a variety of teams through her 17-year tenure. Mary Pat is an Accredited Business Communicator through the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC), and has been recognized with a number of distinctions and awards at local, national and international levels. A passionate advocate and active supporter of Chrysalis – an Alberta Society for Citizens with Disabilities (an organization dedicated to enhancing the potential, possibility and reality of people with disabilities), Mary Pat serves as Board Chair of the Chrysalis Foundation.