The Alumni Association is recognized by the Board of Governors of the University of Alberta as representing all graduates of the University of Alberta (the “University”). The Alumni Association holds a unique place within the University, with the role of engaging more than a quarter of a million alumni for the benefit of the University. The Alumni Association is led by an advisory council herein referred to as Alumni Council, with terms of reference informing its membership, structure and operations.
A proud and inspired community of alumni and students, positively influencing the success of the university.
To engage University alumni and students in building the success of one of the world’s great universities for the public good by positively extending the university experience beyond graduation.
The Alumni Association promises to provide alumni with a sense of community and belonging for the purpose of keeping them emotionally connected and actively engaged with the University throughout their lives.
The Alumni Association has a formal point of connection to the President of the University, who ultimately approves of alumni relations strategy. Alumni Council, works directly with the Office of Alumni Relations, or its successor, in the Advancement portfolio to execute upon alumni relations priorities.
Alumni Council consults with the Office of Alumni Relations to create a strategic plan for alumni relations for the University. This strategic plan will inform the budget accorded to alumni relations activities, the benefits offered to alumni through affinity partnerships and the communications strategies utilized to connect with alumni.
Because the Alumni Association is part of the University, all legal arrangements and agreements on behalf of and for the benefit of University alumni are entered into by and in the name of the University.
- Alumni Council will work as an active participant with the Office of Alumni Relations to create an alumni relations strategic plan for the University and its alumni.
- Alumni Council is engaged as a major stakeholder in the University alumni relations budget process. Alumni Council acts as an active participant in the creation of the budget accorded to Alumni Relations activities by contributing advice through the strategic plan. Final Alumni Relations budget decisions are made by the University.
- The University commits to consulting with Alumni Council with respect to affinity partnership agreements that benefit all alumni. Alumni Council will provide input into affinity partnership agreements to ensure alignment with the Alumni Association’s mission, vision, promise and values.
- Legal agreements with affinity partners are the responsibility of the University and as such the University shall have final authority over all agreements. Revenue derived from affinity agreements will be allocated in accordance with the terms of the legal agreements including, where appropriate, allocation to support alumni relations projects. Budgets reflecting the use of revenue derived from affinity partnerships will be communicated to Alumni Council. Surpluses accrued to these budgets will follow University policy and, as appropriate, will be used to contribute to alumni relations projects reflecting the mission, vision, promise and values of the Alumni Association.
- Alumni Council will communicate with the alumni community in a variety of ways through the Office of Alumni Relations, with the ability to promote alumni relations programs and services, conduct surveys and deliver messages to members of the Alumni Association, all to foster long-term connection to the University. The personal information of alumni will be managed by the Office of Alumni Relations.
- The University of Alberta agrees that any official marks registered by the University for the benefit of, and pertaining to, the Alumni Association, including without limitation official mark registration number 922651, shall be used for the benefit of the Alumni Association and shall not be otherwise used by the University without first consulting with Alumni Council.
- Alumni Council will appoint two members to the New Trail Advisory Committee with the mandate of making recommendations to the direction of New Trail Magazine, the university’s primary communications vehicle with alumni. A message to alumni from The President of the Alumni Association and/or the Associate Vice President, Alumni Relations will be included in each edition of New Trail Magazine distributed to alumni.
- Alumni Council will work as an active participant with the Office of Alumni Relations to build the brand, image and reputation of the Alumni Association and the University, providing strategic programming recommendations to enhance the emotional connection of our alumni to the University and to encourage active engagement with the University.
- Alumni Council expresses opinions on behalf of alumni and endeavours to protect and extend the mission, vision, promise and values of the Alumni Association and the University.
- Alumni Association chapters will enjoy a similar relationship with the University. Alumni Association chapters have the ability to create Alumni Relations programs and initiatives that best engage the specific cohorts of alumni they represent. Chapters are funded by specific initiatives, which may be suggested by either chapter representatives or University staff. Final decisions regarding these University funds will be made by the appropriate University employee, after consultation with alumni chapter personnel. These funds, as appropriate, will be allocated to contribute to Alumni Relations activities reflecting the priorities of the chapter. Alumni Chapters will have the right to recruit and appoint members to their chapter executive boards. Alumni Council will work with the Office of Alumni Relations to facilitate relationships with Alumni Association regional, faculty and campus chapters.
- Alumni Council recruits and appoints all members to Alumni Council, and nominates current members to leadership positions as defined in the Alumni Association terms of reference.
- Alumni Council will take an active and supportive role in encouraging a culture of philanthropy among alumni. Alumni Council will be updated on fundraising achievement and strategy annually by the VP, Advancement. Should the Alumni Association or its chapters identify a priority project that requires fundraising, it will work with University Advancement to determine its feasibility. All projects must be decided upon by University Advancement with strategies led by University Advancement.
- The President of the Alumni Association will have a clear connection directly to the President and Vice-Chancellor of the University in all cases when communication is required. The President of the University will be the honorary President of the Alumni Association and as such will be provided with membership on Alumni Council. The President of the University will be invited to address Alumni Council annually. Alumni Council will report their progress to the President of the University on an annual basis.
- The Associate Vice President, Alumni Relations leads the Office of Alumni Relations, within the portfolio of Advancement at the University of Alberta. This role will be the direct day to day working connection with the Alumni Association and will work closely with the President of the Alumni Association and all members of Alumni Council. Alumni Council will be represented on the Advisory Selection Committee for the selection of the Associate Vice-President, Alumni Relations.