The Alumni Student Support Engagement Team (ASSET) provides a rewarding and meaningful volunteer experience for Alumni. As an ASSET member, you will volunteer directly with students and other services on campus to positively impact the mental health & well-being of UAlberta students. We are pleased to now provide this program at Augustana!
Through multiple volunteer opportunities you will:
- Provide information to students on mental health support services available on campus
- Engage with students through campus support services including Student Services and Residence Services.
- Facilitate student mental health check-ins at events held at key times during the academic year.
At Augustana, ASSET volunteer recruitment occurs annually through the summer months. Training takes place in September and November. Volunteering occurs during the Winter and Fall semesters.
Benefits for you:
- Receive training in Mental Health First Aid and Community Helpers that will both prepare you for this role and be useful in your everyday life.
- Get to know fellow alumni and peer student mentors and be able to support each other, create new friendships and expand your network.
- Access meaningful and rewarding volunteer experiences with students.
- Contribute to the growth and direction of the ASSET program at Augustana.
- Receive a certificate of completion following each training session. Letters of reference can be provided after the completion of one year with the ASSET program.
- Leadership roles will be available to those who continue with the ASSET program beyond one year.
- Must be a CLC, AUC or University of Alberta graduate
- Must have strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to build rapport, engage in non-judgmental active listening and demonstrate empathy
- Ability to work both independently and cohesively with other members of ASSET
- Have excellent organization, communication (verbal and written) and time-management skills
- Must display strong understanding and respect for privacy and confidentiality
Mandatory Training Dates:
In order to be successful in this program, all volunteers must complete:
September 18, 2019
9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Community Helpers (2-Day Session)
September 19 & 20, 2019
9:00 am to 4:00 p.m.
Mental Health First Aid (2-Day Course)
November 14 & 15, 2019
9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Commit to at least one (1) year volunteering with the ASSET program
- Complete the necessary training requirements
- Complete a Police Information Check
- Volunteer at least four (4) hours per month (between January and April, and September and December) at various volunteer opportunities at which you will interact directly with students. NOTE: Most volunteer opportunities will be during daytime hours on the UAlberta Augustana Campus
- Abide by the ASSET Volunteer Code of Conduct at all times
- Attend a semesterly meeting with other ASSET members to network, share resources and help plan future events
The application deadline is Sunday, August 18th, at 11:59 p.m.
Please allow 15 to 20 minutes to complete the application
Alumni Relations & Program Coordinator
Office of Advancement
Office of Alumni Relations