This volunteer opportunity is organized through the City of Edmonton program: Root for Trees.
Help grow Edmonton’s urban forest! Join the U of A Alumni Association as we team-up with Root for Trees to help spruce up the city. Spend some time outdoors and make a huge visual impact in our community, as we plant new trees at Hermitage Park. All materials and tools will be provided. After everything is planted, you are invited to join us for an appreciation BBQ. This is an all-ages event, and families are welcome to participate. When signing up, please keep in mind that tree planting can be strenuous for very young children.
Benefits for you:
- Learn about Edmonton's urban forest from the City's knowledgeable Tree Planting Technicians
- Gain practical planting skills
- Have a tangible impact on our city and community
- Spend a morning outdoors in one of our City's beautiful parks
- Enjoy a delicious BBQ lunch after a hard morning's work
- Interact with fellow alumni volunteers, their families and UAlberta staff
- Access to our volunteer perks, which include free tickets to select alumni events, volunteer socials and professional development opportunities
- No previous experience required - all tools and instructions will be provided
- Please note that planting trees can be a strenuous activity, especially for very young children. We may be among thistles, long grass and other tough foliage. You'll be able to take breaks and hydrate whenever you need.
- Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty and have fun!
- Volunteers will be planting trees. This includes digging the hole, choosing the tree you want to plant, filling the hole, and watering.
- Dress appropriately for the activity (make sure to wear clothes you don't mind getting dirty, and dress for the weather)
- Wear close-toed, sturdy shoes (no sandals allowed)
- Children must be supervised by a parent/guardian at all times
Date & Time
Saturday, August 11, 2018
- 9:45 a.m. - Check-in
- 10 a.m. to noon - Tree planting
- Noon to 1 p.m. - BBQ lunch
2115 Hermitage Road, Edmonton
Office of Alumni Relations