STRATEGIC DIRECTION # 1
A Governance and Infrastructure supportive of the Department’s vision, mission, values, functions and activities.
Objective 1a: To develop a Governance and Infrastructure that supports zone-wide aims and objectives.
- Establish a Governance Structure.
- A Zone Executive Committee comprised of:
- Zone Chief (Committee Chair) and Deputy Chief (2).
- All site chiefs: RAH, UH, Stollery, GNH, Leduc, Cross, Miseracordia, Ft Sask, Sturgeon (9)
- Anesthesia Technology (1)
- Chairs of Subcommittes: Education, Research, Quality and Safety, Equipment and Supplies (2)
- AHS Executive Director, ORs and Endoscopy (1)
- AMA Section representative (1)
- APO Department of Anesthesia and Pain Medicine (1)
- Key roles:
- Intermediate and long term planning
- Manpower, including Anesthesia Care Team (ACT)
- Information management
- Clinical academic promotions
- Establish terms of reference for subcommittees under the following headings:
- Authority and Reporting Relationship
- Meeting Frequency
- Key Roles
- Of the Chief/Chair:
- Maintain effective relationships with key partners (Gov, AHS, FoMD, Zone DeptSurg)
- Of the Deputy Chief
- Operates and decision making by consensus.
- Clinical operations to remain at the site level.
- Service delivery model
- Effective working relationships with site managers
- Meeting site specific demands for clinical service
- Anesthesiologist hiring
- Site specific equipment and supplies
- Frequency: 8 times a year
- Location: rotated from site to site
- Agenda and Minutes: by the chair
- Establish the following Offices:
- Quality and Safety
- Ensure support staff in place to deliver key functions:
- Credentialling and reappointments
- Support staff for subcommittees
- Information Management
- Zone wide policy process and format
Objective 1b: To recruit and retain the right people.
- 2011/12 additional initiatives:
- ACT development
- Intermediate and long term HR plan
- Establish HR Committee and TOR.
- Clarify recruitment processes and accountabilities
- Admin support for sites and functions.
- Develop and implement Workforce Satisfaction Survey.
- Succession planning
- Chief and Deputy Zone Chiefs
- Site Chiefs
- Committee Chairs
- Redundancy planning for administrative and management functions.
- Recognize and support career/professional development (clinical AND administrative staff).
Objective 1c: To secure the funding necessary to achieve the Department’s vision and mission.
- Develop a zone-wide departmental budgetary process aligned with AHS & UA business cycle.
- Determine zone-wide departmental budgetary requirements subsequent to strategic planning.
- Submit appropriate budgetary requests on a timely basis consistent with AHS & UA business cycle.
Objective 1d: To procure the equipment and space necessary to exemplary patient care, scholarly research and educational excellence.
- Develop a zone-wide space plan inclusive of administrative/education/ research requirements.
- Develop a plan for acute/ chronic pain requirements.
- Inventory current AA/AT support resources.
- Ensure that equipment is modern and in good working order.
- Develop process to report faulty equipment.
Objective 1e: To develop a departmental governance model reflective of the sharing of resources, a zone-wide perspective and the unique strengths and culture of each site.
- Assess site specific cultures.
- Identify opportunities for collaboration and social interaction between sites.
- Develop an inventory of zone-wide resources.
Objective 1f: To engage in human resources best practices such that the workforce expresses job satisfaction and is engaged.
- Identify the practices employed by organizations recognized as “Employers of Choice”
STRATEGIC DIRECTION # 2
Communications that keeps our zone-wide workforce up to date and knowledgeable on departmental matters, our public informed on departmental performance, and heightens the Department’s profile.
Objective 2a: To develop an internal communication strategy.
- Procure the services of a communication expert who can work with staff to determine:
- The audience.
- Conduct a needs assessment survey.
- Determine tools to use )eg. email lists, newsletter, internal website, Google group).
- Implement one (1) or two (2) tools with immediate impact.
- Ensure alignment with AHS and UA guidelines.
- Secure the required funding.
Objective 2b: To develop an external communication strategy.
- Survey department members for suggestions.
- Conduct focus group of representative users e.g. patients, fellows, colleagues.
- Develop RFP (request for proposals) for communication plan strategy developer inclusive of external website requirements.
Objective 2c: To develop and implement updated external/internal websites.
- Procure the services of an internal website developer/designer.
- Procure the services of a web application developer.
STRATEGIC DIRECTION # 3
A zone-wide Information Management strategy integrated with government and university systems and encompassing futuristic trends.
Objective 3a: To complete an Information Management strategy document inclusive of current assets, future needs, gaps and recommended solutions.
- Recruit/select an Information Management officer/coordinator on a contract basis.
- Establish an IM Steering Committee.
- Inventory current assets and contact other sites to identify resources.
- Procure the services of an IM consultant to develop the zone-wide departmental plan.
- Conduct needs analysis.
Objective 3b: To identify and implement an appropriate user-friendly state of the art Anesthesia Information Management System (AIMS) that provides quality assurance data, supports decision-making and research pursuits.
- Develop Provincial AIMS information group (provincial solution).
- Determine TOR, membership & deliverables.
- Schedule first meeting.
Objective 3c: To identify and implement an appropriate scheduling software program.
- Vendor demonstration for site schedulers and department members.
Objective 3d: To update the external website (cross-reference SD#2).
- Establish a website design working group.
- Procure a website design firm.
- Develop a “look” that is consistent with the departmental brand and AHS & UA guidelines.
Objective 3e: To develop and implement an internal website (cross-reference SD#2).
- Procure the services of a web application developer.
- Establish a web design working group as per 3e.
- Identify the functions necessary to include.
- Pilot an internal website.
- Implement internal website.
STRATEGIC DIRECTION # 4
An Office of Research (OoR) supportive of departmental research endeavours with an appropriate infrastructure and a nucleus of accomplished researchers.
Objective 4a: To develop an infrastructure that supports the Department’s research aims and objectives.
- Establish an Office of Research with a Medical Director/ Manager/ Admin Assist.
- Develop an OoR Strategic Plan.
- Develop position descriptions for Medial & Manager positions.
- Recruit a Medical Director.
- Recruit a Manager.
- Develop space requirement plan.
- Develop OoR organizational structure.
- Establish formal research assistant role & determine number required to support all sites.
- Formalize relationship with Epicore.
- Secure necessary funding.
Objective 4b: To remove the barriers and obstacles hindering the research agenda.
- Support investigator time.
- Make small start-up funds available.
- Improve communications (cross reference SD #2).
- Conduct internal research rounds.
- Establish Research Operational Committee inclusive of subspecialties.
- Establish Research Advisory Committee inclusive of key partners.
Objective 4c: To pursue strategies, actions and alliances that entrench scholarly activities with the Department and ensures that research is an integral part of the Department’s mission and mandate.
- Establish cross appointments between departments & faculties.
- Secure additional administrative support.
- Role clarification of UGME.
STRATEGIC DIRECTION # 5
An Office of Education (OoE) that furthers zone-wide educational aspirations and requirements of the Department.
Objective 5a: To develop an infrastructure that supports the Department’s educational aims and objectives.
- Define educational aims/objectives
- Develop OoE Strategic Plan.
- Develop governance structure inclusive of Medical Director, Program Administrator, P/G Director, Assoc P/G Director, Director Fellowship Affairs, Director Postgrad Research, UGME Program Director, Director CEPD.
- Recruit OoE Medical Director.
- Identify necessary resources.
- Secure adequate space.
- Inventory current equipment and identify equipment gaps/needs.
Objective 5b: To deliver zone-wide CME conferences, workshops and continuing professional development sessions.
- Establish a CPD Committee.
- Identify a Medical Director of CPD.
- Conduct a zone-wide needs assessment.
- Apply for CME and offer CME approved educational sessions.
- Conduct performance appraisals of non- physician staff and identify professional development needs.
Objective 5c: To maintain an accreditated post graduate (residency) program.
- Recruit an Associate P/G Director.
- Increase the number of support staff.
Objective 5d: To deliver contemporary undergraduate medical education experiences.
- Increase # of OR sites.
- Determine overall structure needed to coordinate all learners inclusive of non-physicians (eg. RT’s).
- exposure in curriculum to quality and preclinical.
- Determine resources needed for low tech sim rooms.
- Procure human resources to help/lead/assist:
- Release from OR
- Consider approaches to provide learning experiences.
Objective 5e: To develop and implement a mentorship program
- Review current Mentorship Programs at other universities, institutions and industry.
Objective 5f: To further develop and implement simulation related education.
- Determine number of facilitators/staff required to provide training.
- Determine space requirements.
- Expand to include medical students, fellows, staff, other disciplines.
- Release personnel from clinical responsibilities to act as facilitators.
- Secure funding for procurement of simulation models etc.
Objective 5g: To continue to attract and educate the best and brightest residents and fellows.
- Identify approaches to engage medical students (eg. bring early med students into OR tour; anesth. staff more involved).
- Inventory current equipment Require funded position to facilitate the strategies required.
- Establish Fellowship Council with Medical Director.
STRATEGIC DIRECTION # 6
An Office of Quality and Patient Safety that tracks and improves patient care and outcomes.
Objective 6a: To identify and implement an appropriate infrastructure.
Establish a QA & Patient Safety Committee with terms of reference/ deliverables.
Formalize the Office’s role & responsibilities.
Determine Human Resources required.
Identify a QA/PS person @ each site to be responsible for initiating immediate action.
Identify M&M medical/legal issues.
Define cases vs enforcement.
Review narcotic & drug drawers & implement changes.
Identify clinical equipment issues at each hospital & refer to Equipment Committee for disposition to Executive Committee if appropriate.
Objective 6b: To track data and report results.
- Establish a QA/ Patient Safety database subcommittee for database and system assessment.
- Ensure no fault process.
- Recruit data entry and data analyst positions.
Objective 6c: To adjust and modify practices based on evidence obtained through data gathering and analysis.
STRATEGIC DIRECTION # 7
Subspecilization that optimizes patient care, anesthesiologist satisfaction, zone-wide efficiencies and effectiveness, and is reflective of the Department's name.
Objective 7a: To deliver a report and recommendations on subspecialization which informs policy development and practices.
- Establish a Committee of zone-wide representatives to determine how to define subspecialization& to guide the work related to this topic.
- Gather background information to present to Committee.
Objective 7b: To support the decisions made regarding subspecialization with appropriate training/educational opportunities.
- Subspecialty leaders to be contact person.
- Determine amount of funding required.
Objective 7c: To identify and pursue research possibilities consistent with the Department’s research agenda.
Support zone-wide OoR with appropriate staffing & funding.
STRATEGIC DIRECTION # 8
Partnerships, and alliances, networks and relationships that further the realization of the Department's vision and goals.
Objective 8a: To identify key partners, alliances, networks and relationships.
- Schedule interhospital zone-wide/city-wide rounds EAS.
- Zone-wide Executive.
- More C SMM (?)
- More elected members on committees.
- Determine strategic committees necessary to the department’s vision & mission.
- Rift between hospitals needs to stop.
Objective 8b: To determine and participate on key committees, task forces, projects and initiatives.
- Identify appropriate members and gauge interest.
- Determine “carrot” for meeting attendance (eg. funding).
- Identify alternative means of contributing (eg. list serves, website etc).