The adult cardiac anesthesiology fellowship at the University of Alberta is designed to help fellows evolve into accomplished consultants through exposure to care of patients at a quaternary cardiac surgical centre. The fellow will be involved in the perioperative management of a variety of clinical cases, including: percutaneous valve interventions; minimally invasive valve procedures; cardiac and pulmonary transplantation; mechanical assist devices; procedures in the patient with adult congenital heart disease; and major aortic and thoracic procedures. In addition to the cardiac operating room, fellows will provide care of patients in the cardiac catheterization lab, as well as in the cardiac hybrid and thoracic surgical theatres.
- Echocardiography: At the completion of their fellowship, candidates will be prepared to sit the National Board of Echnocardiography exam (PTEeXAM) exam and obtain the certificate of Special Competence in Advanced Perioperative Transesophageal Echocardiography. Exposure to echnocardiography during the fellowship will include 4 weeks of transthoracic scanning in the echnocardiography lab with board certified cardiologists, use of the state-of-the-art HeartWorks TEE simulator, and intraoperative TEE including 3D imaging modalities.
- Research/Academic: Fellows are expected to be involved in academic activities in preparation for their roles as consultant cardiac anesthesiologists. Mandatory academic activities include:
Although not required fellow are encouraged to pursue research endeavours.
- CV resident teaching
- presentation of pertinent journal article at journal club (1x/12months).
- present at Combined CV Anesthesiology/CV surgery Grand Rounds (1x/12months).
- primary or co-author of one case report submitted for acceptance to a relevant journal during the academic year.
- Non-cardiac Academic Time: Fellows will provide perioperative care of the adult cardiac patient that will include time in the cardiovascular intensive care unit, electrophysiology lab, cath lab, and CV Preadmission Clinic.