- Application deadline: January 15th, for all of our programs, for September admission.
- Fall is the only admission term.
- The online application portal will open on October 3, 2017 for application to the January 15, 2018 deadline. APPLY BY 11:59 PM ON JANUARY 14. If your application is not complete, including all documents and referee letters, your application will not be considered.
You require a minimum grade point average of 3.0 on a 4 point scale (B average or 75%) in the last two years of study.
You do not need to contact a potential thesis supervisor before you apply.
Please read all of the information below before you go to the 'APPLY NOW' button at the bottom of this page.
Master of Design and Master of Fine Arts Applicants
Applicants to the Master of Design (MDes) or Master of Fine Arts (MFA) studio programs must hold a four-year Bachelor's degree, normally a BDes or BFA degree, respectively, from a university or another recognized academic institution. Applicants who have completed university degree programs, other than the four-year BDes or BFA (for example, a four year BA), must provide evidence of work related to the student's intended area of study that is representative of a level of development equivalent to advanced study in a university program, and a transcript showing completion of senior level coursework in the History of Art & Design. Applicants with deficiencies in their undergraduate preparation, or those who have a three year degree, may be required to take a qualifying year prior to formal entry into the program.
Master of Arts (MA) History of Art, Design, and Visual Culture Applicants
Applicants to the Master of Arts (MA) History of Art, Design, and Visual Culture program must hold a four-year degree, normally a Bachelor of Arts degree, with a major in the History of Art or a closely related subject. A broad course background is required to demonstrate exposure to periods in art history from the Renaissance to the present time. Applicants with deficiencies in their undergraduate preparation, or those who have a three year degree, may be required to take a qualifying year prior to formal entry into the program.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) History of Art, Design and Visual Culture Applicants
Applicants to the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) History of Art, Design and Visual Culture program will normally hold a Master’s degree in art history, visual culture or a related discipline. Applicants with deficiencies in their Master's preparation may be required to take a qualifying year prior to formal entry into the program.
The web-based application system allows you to upload all supporting documents. Here are the documents you need to submit electronically by
- OFFICIAL Transcripts (Canada and US), Mark Sheets and Degree Certificate (international): You will be required to up-load your official transcripts to the electronic application system. PLEASE DO NO SEND your official transcripts or Mark Sheets and Degree Certificate in hard copy until after you have received the conditional offer of admission letter from the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research. AFTER you have been accepted, arrange to have 1 official transcript (domestic) or Mark Sheets and Degree Certificate (international) sent to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research and 1 sent to the Department of Art & Design. Documents must be sent directly, in a sealed envelope, from the post-secondary institution to the following addresses:
Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research
Killam Centre for Advanced Studies
2-29 Triffo Hall, University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Art & Design Department (Graduate)
3-98 Fine Arts Building
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- Evidence of English Language Proficiency (if applicable): TOEFL: minimum score of 580 (paper-based) or a total score of 95 (internet-based), IELTS: minimum overall band score of 7, with at least 6 on each band. Exemptions
- Statement of intent: Up to 2 pages which describe your current work, a detailed description of your research interests and what you hope to accomplish during the program.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Recommendation Letters: You require 3. Once you submit the email addresses of your referees, they will receive an automated message with instructions on how to submit their letters.
- Writing Sample: Up to 25 pages for MA and PhD applicants only.
- Portfolio: Applicants to the MDes and MFA programs must also submit a portfolio of 12 to 15 good quality images to the Department of Art & Design.
- Submit your portfolio on the application system as a PDF document in Department Check 4, or as a shared Google Drive folder that specifies program and specialization to: email@example.com
- MFA applicants should place image information (title,height,width,depth) within the document under each image.
Track your admission results through the Applicant Portal of the Apply Grad application system.
Once the Department Review Committee has made their selections, we will notify all accepted and wait-listed applicants by email. Unsuccessful applicants will find their admission result in their Applicant Portal. Once acceptance has been confirmed by the Department, admission recommendations will be forwarded to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research which will, in turn, up-load a letter of official acceptance to the Applicant Portal..
View the Graduate Program Manual from the Faculty of Graduate Studies.