In order to research eligible requirements for our programs, you will need to look at the Faculty of Arts requirements, as the Department of Art & Design is part of the Faculty of Arts.
High School Applicants
High school applicants to the BFA or BDes program require at least a 70% average, and applicants to the BA program require an average that is competitive for the given year*, on 5 eligible high school subjects, as follows:
- English 30-1
- Four other eligible 30-level subjects
- Of these four subjects, a maximum of one eligible 30-level Fine Arts course may be used.
- Your admission average will automatically be calculated on the 5 highest grades that meet these requirements.
- Some BDes routes have specific high school course requirements; please see below.
For more information on eligible subjects, please visit the page(s) of your choice:
BFA Program Eligibility
BDes Program Eligibility (General Route - you can find other routes through this page as well)
BA Program Eligibility
Applicants from other provinces and countries must have a comparable average on equivalent courses.
Students from other Canadian provinces, visit the Provincial Admission Course Equivalents page.
*Applicants to the BA program can learn more about competitive averages on the Undergraduate Programs and Admissions page
Transfer applicants require at least a 2.2 GPA*, depending on the competitive admission average for the year, on at least 24 credits of transferable post-secondary coursework.
* Please note: BFA and BDes applicants whose portfolio applications are successful require at least a 2.0 GPA.
Other Ways to Begin Your Studies with Us
Learn about Open Studies.
Please visit the Faculty of Arts page in the Calendar, for information about any of the following:
- Special Student
- Visiting Student
- Non-matriculated applicant
International Applicant Information
For information about English Language Proficiency requirements, International Admission subjects and scores, etc., please research International Admissions on the main U of A homepage.
Note to BDes Applicants
For BDes applicants, please note:
- for the Bachelor of Design Engineering Route, Pure Math 30 or Math 30-1 is required and Math 31 and Physics 30 are recommended.
- for the Bachelor of Design Computing Science Route, Pure Math 30 or Math 30-1 is required.
- for the Bachelor of Design Social Sciences Route with a concentration in psychology, Math 30 is a prerequisite for certain course.