Mission and Vision Statement:
The Faculty of Arts fosters a healthy and safe work environment to support the teaching, research and creative activities of our community. We strive to promote and maintain the physical, psychological and social well-being of our students, staff and faculty by ensuring hazards/risks are clearly understood and managed to prevent injuries, illness, and damage in our environment and to our property. We will continue to review, build and strengthen our internal systems, policies, and procedures to meet university policies and provincial and other environmental health and safety legislation.
Promote the wellness of our staff and students and protect human lives from injury and illness
Preserve our physical assets and environment from intentional and unintentional acts due to various factors such as staffing and training issues, inadequate processes, and mishandling of hazardous materials etc.
Promote the exchange of information, expectations, and expertise through training and communication
Collaborate across departments, with other Faculties, and with UA EH&S
Strategic Goals and Objectives:
Strategic Goal #1: Establish management systems to coordinate and facilitate the understanding of the department safety activities at the Faculty level.
- Assess the existing UA EH&S management system, develop and implement Faculty of Arts EH&S strategy and initiatives
- Develop standardized safety job descriptions
- Create and implement a centralized record keeping system
Strategic Goal #2: Develop and implement a comprehensive EH&S training program to ensure that workers are fully competent to safely perform their tasks.
- Assess high, medium, and low hazards and develop a training plan with a priority to immediately address the high hazards
- Identify the relevant stakeholders involved with hazardous work and develop and implement EH&S training initiatives according to the hazards
- Establish a system for tracking training schedules, certifications, and compliance
Strategic Goal #3: Provide direction and support to address the general and unique health and safety challenges within each department.
- Complete formal hazard assessments and implement controls for all high hazardous work areas
- Ensure that hazards of daily tasks are identified and controlled as the need arises
- Properly report and investigate incidents using EHS reporting portal, ensure corrective measures are implemented, and lessons learned are communicated
Strategic Goal #4: Promote and monitor the health and safety performance of the Faculty.
- Develop and conduct regularly scheduled inspections as required by the department, Faculty, UA EHS, and other external agencies as required
- Foster continuous learning and improvement of the Faculty’s EH&S program arising from the results of these regularly scheduled inspections
Strategic Goal #5: Develop a continual change management process to implement the improvements and changes across the Faculty and departments.
- Adopt a change management process such as the Kotters Change Model to develop project management and governance principles
- Ensure all stakeholders understand and are fulfilling their health and safety responsibilities
- Ensure that effective communication strategies (webpage, Health and safety meetings, health and safety bulletin boards etc.) are in place
- Ensure that changes to key health and safety elements of the EHS program with the potential to create new hazards are effectively managed