Take advantage of this exceptional opportunity to explore Italy with UAlberta experts! We invite all alumni and friends of the University of Alberta to join us for nine days of academic discussion and adventures abroad! Professors of the Faculty of Art's School in Italy (Cortona) will guide you through a fascinating and intimate exploration of central Italy. The ancient and medieval town of Cortona serves as the stage throughout the nine-day tour.
Savour local wine and cuisine, enjoy a cooking class and learn some basic Italian. Explore ancient Tuscany, and learn about the university’s excavations in the area. Continue through history to the medieval and Renaissance ages with visits to Perugia and Assisi, and continue into modern times with homage paid to the Canadians who died in the Valdichiana in the Second World War. Your tour culminates with a day in the spa of San Casciano dei Bagni and gorgeous views across the Val d’Orcia.
Italian Mosaic: Tuscany & Umbria is designed for the intellectually curious traveller who wants to learn the “how” and “why” behind their experiences. By limiting the size of our group (maximum 20), we are able to have engaging and lively discussions.
- Academic discussions on ancient, medieval and modern Italy with experts in those fields, including the unique relationship between Cortona and Canada
- A day trip to Perugia and Assisi to rediscover the Renaissance
- Guided visits to the Cortona Museo dell’Accademia Etrusca, the Diocesan Museum of Cortona, and the Civitella in Val di Chiana
- Traditional Italian cooking and food lessons on olive oils, truffles, cheeses, preserved meats, grains and legumes
- An agricultural tour of the valley surrounding Cortona
- Aperitifs, dinners, and wine tasting
- Conversational Italian lessons
- A guided walking tour of the town and open air market of Cortona
The fee for the Mosaic course in Cortona, Italy (airfare not included) is:
$3065 CDN per person (based on double occupancy)
Price is inclusive of hotel accommodation, breakfasts, some lunches and dinners, museum entrances, excursions, planned activities, transportation and pickup at Camucia Train Station, and all tips/gratuities for meals, guides/instructors and drivers.
Contact Tour Director, Dr. Helena Fracchia at email@example.com
with any questions.