The Faculty of Arts Conference Fund supports hosting of conferences, symposia, or colloquia that contribute to scholarship and are hosted by the University within Alberta. Funding for the Faculty of Arts Conference fund comes from the Office of the Vice-President Research.
For the October 2019 competition, the online application portal is now open.
- Full Conference Fund Grants - Up to $2,000: Full Conference Fund grants are for conferences, symposia, or colloquia held on campus or in Edmonton
- Partial Conference Fund Grants - Up to $1,000: Partial Conference Fund grants are for conferences, symposia, or colloquia with three or fewer speakers for one day or less, particularly those focused on a single theme and targeted to a modest, essentially local audience.
All continuing faculty members and graduate students, full or part-time, in the Faculty of Arts are eligible to apply for support of appropriate conferences, symposia, or colloquia making contributions to scholarship. Conferences, symposia, or colloquia hosted by graduate students or student organizations must be co-sponsored by faculty advisors willing to undertake responsibility for the award.
Use of Funds
The fund may only be used to support conference organizing costs including: Honoraria to speakers; travel, per diem, and accommodation for speakers; space and equipment rental; reproduction of materials and proceedings; the hiring of conference organizing staff; and coffee, light food and light refreshments at conference events. Conference Fund grants will not fund meals for participants.
The following types of events are not eligible for funding:
- Consultative, strategic, or administrative meetings of research networks or working groups
- Primarily internal events such as Faculty or Departmental 'Research Days'
- Events associated with for-credit courses or sessions that aim to upgrade or enhance professional credentials
This fund does not support applicants to attend conferences.
Please see the Policies and Procedures document, available on the Welcome Page of the FoA Conference Fund online application portal, for complete eligibility criteria and submission instructions.
How to Apply
The Faculty of Arts holds two competitions each year for the Faculty of Arts Conference Fund.
Application deadlines are April 15 and October 15. Applications will be accepted until 4:00 pm.
If the deadline date falls on a weekend or stat holiday, applications will be accepted until 4:00 pm the following business day.
Funding is limited therefore success is not guaranteed. Complete and compelling applications are essential.
Applications should be submitted via the online portal with all required supporting documentation included. Hard copy, electronic copy, or incomplete applications are not accepted and will not be considered for adjudication.
A final report is required for previous Conference Fund grants in order to qualify for future grants. If you are not sure if you have submitted a final report for a past grant, please contact the Research Coordinator at email@example.com.
All Faculty of Arts Conference Fund applications and Final Reports will be submitted via an online application system only. A link to the online portal can be found here.