Safety and Security

UGo Travel Registry

For students planning for education abroad activities, and/or education abroad program leaders planning for programs abroad, please refer to the University of Alberta's Off-Campus Activity and Travel Policy here.

Before leaving Canada, students are required to register with:

UAlberta's UGo Off-Campus Travel Registry (create an account in Horizons to register)

Government of Canada's Registration of Canadians Abroad

In the event of an emergency or crisis situation while overseas, this information will help both the University of Alberta and the Government of Canada obtain knowledge of:

Where you are located? How to get in contact with you? How we can be of assistance to you? What is your emergency contact information?

Emergency Contact: Students are also required to provide an emergency contact in their online application account before going abroad.

International SOS

International SOS is a medical and travel security assistance service provided to University of Alberta students travelling abroad. The company provides the following services:

  • A website to find extensive health and security information about your destination that you can access before you leave and at your destination
  • An email and mobile app service that will send messages to you with the latest news about developing security or health threats in the region you are visiting
  • Doctors and security experts you can call while you are away to get professional medical or security advice over the phone. (If you have an acute illness or injury that requires the care of a physician, you must call your own travel insurance provider first.)
  • When necessary, help with emergency medical care that goes beyond the coverage provided by your travel insurance provider.
  • Telephone number:: +1 214 942 8478