Admission to the Faculty of Arts is competitive.
Searchable Program Requirements.
Alberta Grade 12 Courses
- English Language Arts 30-1
- Four subjects from: Biology 30; Chemistry 30; an approved 30-level Fine Arts Course (only one Fine Arts course may be presented for admission); Aboriginal Studies 30; Social Studies 30-1; Mathematics 30-1; *Mathematics 30-2; Mathematics 31; Physics 30; Science 30; Computer Science - Advanced Level CTS (5 credits); 30-level language other than English.
*Mathematics 30-2 may be used for admission to the Faculty of Arts. However, only one of Mathematics 30-1 or Mathematics 30-2 will be accepted.
** In order to maximize their future program and course choices, all students are encouraged to present a broad range of courses across the Humanities and Sciences.
*** More than one language other than English may be accepted.
- See additional requirements listed in the Notes below for specific majors and minors.
- More than one language other than English may be accepted.
- The Faculty of Arts accepts proficiency in an Aboriginal language recognized in Canada (i.e. Cree, Slavey etc.) to meet a language other than English admission requirement. Proficiency is measure by either a test, administered by the university if such can be arranged, or by boards of examiners appointed by the university. Candidates having passed the required test of an Aboriginal language have their averages calculated on the remaining four matriculation subjects.
- Two courses from the same second language cannot be used for meeting more than one admission subject requirement
- In order to maximize their future program and course choices, all students are encouraged to present a broad range of subjects across the Humanities and Sciences.
- Students intending to transfer to the Alberta School of Business must present Mathematics 30-1. Some of the courses required for admission to the school require Mathematics 30-1 as a prerequisite.
- Students intending to transfer to the Faculty of Education, particularly to Elementary education, should present Mathematics 30-1 or Mathematics 30-2 and a grade 12 Science subject.
- Only one Fine Arts Subject may be presented for admission.
- For a minor in Arts and Cultural Management, applicants must submit a letter of permission directly to the Faculty of Arts.
- For a minor in Mathematics, students should present Mathematics 30-1. Mathematics 30-1 does not have to be included as one of the five subjects used for admission, but the discipline requires courses for which Mathematics 30-1 is a prerequisite.
- For a minor in Psychology, students should present Mathematics 30-1 or Mathematics 30-2
For additional information and the most up-to-date admission requirements, please see admission requirements by faculty in the University Calendar.