Booking an interview
- Once you have applied for an AWE position. Ensure that you check the email and voicemail regularly for employer follow-up.
- Some employers will book interviews on campus in the U of A Career Centre office at 2-100 SUB and some prefer to hold interviews at their place of employment.
- Respond to interview requests as promptly as possible and ensure that you record the address and a contact name and number. If you are uncertain of how to find an interview location, do not be afraid to ask for clarification and instructions.
Interview preparation tips
- Attend the Career Centre's Mock Interview Consultation! This will give you a 'dry run', allow you to discuss strategies to control nervousness, and you can get the session recorded (to see your non-verbal communication).
- Do your research and learn what you can about the employer and position you are interviewing for.
- Prepare, prepare! Give yourself lots of time to find the interview location and arrive 10-15 minutes early, bring a copy of your application package and reference list, and have questions prepared to ask the interviewer(s).
- Dress professionally!
How to handle job offers
- Employers will contact you directly regarding an offer of employment. If you receive an offer by phone and need a reasonable period of time (e.g. 48 hours) to think about it, ask for it!
- Carefully review your offer of employment and approach AWE Program staff with any questions or concerns.
- Make your decision, sign your offer, and get ready to work!
- Remember the AWE Program office needs to be informed of all accepted job offers. This is to ensure that your WKEXP course registration and communication with the employer are handled promptly and appropriately.