Arts Co-op is an optional program open to all undergraduate students in the Faculty of Arts that integrates academic and workplace learning. The program alternates between periods of paid employment with academic semesters. Students are able to put the transferable skills they gain in the classroom to work in professional settings for periods of 4 to 8 months. To achieve a co-op parchment notation, students must complete a cumulative total of 12 months of work experience and all degree requirements.
Students who wish to complete 4 or 8 month work terms, outside of the Arts Co-op Program, should apply through the co-op application link below. Options will be reviewed during intake interviews with AWE staff.
- Continuing undergraduate student in a Faculty of Arts degree program (General or Honours)
- Good academic standing (minimum 2.3 GPA)
- Completed between *30-105 credits
*Please note the following:
- Eligibility requirements may vary for Discipline Specific Internship Programs.
- Students who complete a cumulative total of 12 months of work experience will receive a notation on their degree parchment.
- meeting minimum eligibility criteria does not guarantee program acceptance (Go to the U of A Calendar for more details).
How to Apply: Submit your application and follow application instructions. In addition to completing the application form, you will be asked to email copies of your resume, and unofficial transcripts (download from BearTracks). After you've submitted your application, the AWE Program office will contact you to set-up an intake interview. You should expect to hear from our office within 2 business days of submitting your application.
Learn about the Arts Co-op Program. Attend an information session. If you would like more information, please stop by the HUB Career Centre (8917 HUB Mall) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Book an intake meeting with Arts Co-op Staff. After you have submitted your application, please email email@example.com to set-up an intake meeting with a Work Experience Coordinator. Please indicate your program of study and 3 meeting times that work best with your schedule. The intake meeting should take approximately a half hour to complete. The purpose of the meeting is for you to learn more about work experience and for us to learn more about your employment interests and skill development goals.
Payment of fees.
Once you receive notification of your acceptance, your Program and Career Fees are due. Fees are payable to the 'University of Alberta'. Tuition fees are assigned once a co-op position has been secured. Note: Tuition for domestic and international students varies, please see Arts Co-op Staff for details.
*apply early to maximize your chances of securing a work term
- May 31 to start in September
- September 30 to start in January
- January 31 to start in May
Tip: Consider applying before the application deadline to allow yourself more time to access career education and apply for positions of interest.
- Program and Career Education Fee $200
*These fees are due after final acceptance is confirmed and are non-refundable. If you are not successful in securing a work term, you will still have access to the career education component of the program.
- Tuition for registration in WKEXP courses and non-instructional fees
*Tuition is charged once a position is secured
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org