Arts Co-op is an optional program open to all undergraduate students in the Faculty of Arts that integrates academic and workplace learning. The program alternates between periods of paid employment with academic semesters. Students are able to put the transferable skills they gain in the classroom to work in professional settings for periods of 4 to 8 months. To achieve a co-op parchment notation, students must complete a cumulative total of 12 months of work experience and all degree requirements.
Students who wish to complete 4 or 8 month work terms, outside of the Arts Co-op Program, should apply through the co-op application link below. Options will be reviewed during intake interviews with AWE staff.
- Continuing undergraduate student in a Faculty of Arts degree program (General or Honours)
- Good academic standing (minimum 2.3 GPA)
- Completed between *30-105 credits
*Please note the following:
- Eligibility requirements may vary for Discipline Specific Internship Programs.
- Students who complete a cumulative total of 12 months of work experience will receive a notation on their degree parchment.
- meeting minimum eligibility criteria does not guarantee program acceptance (Go to the U of A Calendar for more details).
Learn about the Arts Co-op Program: Attend an information session. If you would like more information, please stop by the HUB Career Centre (8917 HUB Mall) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Deadlines: *apply early to maximize your chances of securing a work term
- May 31 to start in September (application portal open April 1-May 31)
- September 30 to start in January (application portal open Aug 1-Sep 30)
- January 31 to start in May (application portal open April 1-Jan 31)
Tip: Consider applying before the application deadline to allow yourself more time to access career education and apply for positions of interest.
How to Apply: Submit your application and follow application instructions. From the campusBRIDGE home page, login under the "students" menu using your CCID and password. Once in, click "Arts Work Experience (AWE)" in the left hand navigation menu to be directed to the AWE application. You will be required to submit three documents:
- Statement of interest that includes the following: a description of why you want to participate in an AWE program option, and how you anticipate that it may impact your future career goals; the career, industry or employment sector(s) that you are most interested in; and the skills that you hope to develop during your work experience term(s). Please include your anticipated start date (September, January, or May) and the length of work term you hope to participate in (4, 8, 12, or 16 months). Your statement of interest should be a maximum of one page (single spaced).
- A copy of your resumé
- A copy of your unofficial transcript (downloaded from BearTracks)
Book an intake meeting with Arts Co-op Staff: After you have submitted your application, please email email@example.com to set-up an intake meeting with a Work Experience Coordinator. Please indicate your program of study (e.g. English, Psychology, Planning etc.) and 3 meeting times that work best with your schedule. The intake meeting should take approximately a half hour to complete. The purpose of the meeting is for you to learn more about work experience and for us to learn more about your employment interests and skill development goals.
Payment of fees: Once you receive notification of your acceptance, your Program and Career Fees are due. Fees are payable to the 'University of Alberta'. Tuition fees are assigned once a co-op position has been secured. Note: Tuition for domestic and international students varies, please see Arts Co-op Staff for details.
- Program and Career Education Fee $200
*These fees are due after final acceptance is confirmed and are non-refundable. If you are not successful in securing a work term, you will still have access to the career education component of the program.
- Tuition for registration in WKEXP courses and non-instructional fees
*Tuition is charged once a position is secured
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org