Purpose of the award
• Recognize the overall commitment and volunteerism that Golden Bears & Pandas Athletic Alumni and Athletic Alumni supporters contribute to their alumni association
• To highlight those Alumni who advocate the GGAS and the University of Alberta Athletics spirit of excellence
• Celebrate and honour Alumni who have consistently demonstrated outstanding achievements in support of the Golden Bears & Pandas athletic programs, in their professions and within the community.
• Profile UofA Athletics and highlight the athletic accomplishments of its Alumni
• Reconnect the Athletic Alumni community, the University community and the local/global community
• Recognize the successes, initiatives, creativeness and/or forward thinking of Alumni Associations
• Strengthen Alumni pride and affinity to U of A Athletics and their Alumni Association
GGAS Award Categories & Criteria
Volunteer Leadership Award
Awarded to alumni that demonstrates true commitment to their alumni association and/or the Green and Gold Athletic Society
Community Service Award
Awarded to alumni that is or has provided leadership and or philanthropy within the community
Green & Gold Spirit Award
Awarded to alumni that have continued to be involved with the Golden Bears & Pandas Ahletics Programs and/or their affiliated club programs
Young Alumnus Award
Awarded to an alumnus who is active and invested in their alumni association, they graduated as a student athlete no more than 5 years prior.
Global Citizenship Award
An alumnus who has exhibited their identity as a Golden Bears or Pandas alumni within a "global community", they have transcended geography and borders and have been successful in athletics, career and/or volunteerism.
Honorary Alumnus Award
Awarded to an individual who support any one of the bears or pandas athletic program(s), and/or an alumni association. This individual did not participate as a Golden Bear or Panda student athlete.
Professional Alumnus Award
Awarded to an alumnus who demonstrates excellence, achievement and/or initiative in their chosen profession
Young Alumnus Award
Awarded to an alumnus who is active and invested into their alumni association, they graduated as a student athlete no more than 5 years prior.
The GGAS will also highlight those Alumni who have achieved outstanding athletic accomplishments. The GGAS will seek out detailed information on these Alumni for that particular year, these Alumni will be formally recognized at the awards ceremony.
• Eligible categories are on a yearly rotating basis as outlined above
• One nomination in one of the categories per alumni association per year
• Nominations will open each year on September 1st with a cut off of February 1st.
• All unsuccessful nominations may have future considerations with the nominator being contacted
• May not be made for oneself
- The Golden Bears & Pandas Alumni Recognition Award Committee will be comprised of the following:
2 UAB Representatives
3 Alumni Association Representatives 2 Athletic Staff
- A selection process will take place in which a total maximum of 4 award recipients will be selected each year