Students have the opportunity to engage in a number of Community Service-Learning placements which contribute to making Augustana a more sustainable place.
Past projects have included:
- Advocacy and education on water conservation
- Planning a Commuter Challenge
- Leading efforts to establish composting on campus
- One Simple Act
- Green Spaces Challenge
- Waste Free week
Eco Move Out
At the end of each semester Residence Services hosts Eco move out which makes it easier for students to recycle or donate unwanted items.
What can be donated or recycled?
Non-perishable food and toiletries
- Unopened & non-expired: canned foods, pasta, peanut butter, etc.
- Full or partially used: shampoo & conditioner, soaps, moisturizers & lotions, etc.
- Broken and unusable: computers, laptops, televisions, keyboards, printers, mobile phones, batteries, etc.
Clothing, furniture & household items
- Clean & functional: kitchenware, small appliances and electronics, clothing, shoes, dishes, games, home decorations, furniture, etc.
In 2017 Augustana campus donated 1,100 lbs of used goods. Appropriate items we donated to the Emergency Clothing and Furniture depot in Camrose. Personal care and Buity products are donted to the Mustard Seed in Edmonton. Food items make their way tot he Reciprocity Shelf.
Green Spaces Certification
The Green Spaces Certification Program helps you integrate sustainable practices into your work and living spaces at the University of Alberta. Earn Bronze, Silver or Gold certification for your campus office, lab, event or living space in residence.
Augustana has a number of Green space certified offices and labs as well as certifying many of our local events!
"Grow you own food!"
In 2016 three Community Service-Learning students, along with Cindy Roose from the Augustana Student's Association took on our Campus Garden pilot project. The result was the purchase of a number of raised garden beds which are rented for out for $10 to the Augustana and Camrose Communities for the duration of the growing season.
If you are interested in renting a garden plot please contact Cindy Roose at 780-679-1541 or firstname.lastname@example.org.