Augustana's Library has:
- T8 lighting fixtures: These fixtures are physically smaller, requiring less material to create. Additionally, they provide better light, for longer periods of time, while using less energy to do so
- Passive cooling: Greatly reduces energy needs to heat and cool the building.
- Polished concrete floors: Polished concrete requires no floor covering and very little maintenance. It can also be recycled. It is the most sustainable flooring available, aside from a dirt floor.
- Reduced flow toilets
- Low-E windows: Filled with Argon, these windows retain more heat in the winter, reducing heating costs.
- Non V.O.C. paints: Certain paints contain Volatile Organic Compounds which toxify the air. This is often identified as the bad smell you get in a room after painting.
- 469 Solar Panels were installed in 2016
- These added to the 10 panels installed in 2010
- Allows for 60 metric tonnes of C02 mitigation
- Read more from the Camrose Canadian article here.
Jeanne and Peter Lougheed Performing Arts Centre
The Jeanne and Peter Lougheed Performing Arts Centre has a substantial number of sustainable features which includes:
- Rooftop Solar array
- 75 foot fly tower covered in solar panels
- 100% LED lit theater
- Energy-efficient windows
- Low-flow faucets, toilets and showers
- Native and drought-tolerant plants
Read more about this award winning sustainable building HERE.
With the renovations to Founders' Hall contractors ensured that a number of green features were included:
- The exterior siding is all Hardy Board. This is a type of cement board which is extremely durable and will not require repainting.
- LED light is used is all offices and communal spaces
- The ventilation system incorporates a heat recovery unit that takes the heat from the exhausted air and transfer it to the supply air for the building via heat exchangers.
Drought and Deer resistant landscaping
To help reduce water usage Facilities and Operations has incorporated drought-resistant plants into the campus landscape. These plants also have the added benefit of being deer resistant!