The best ways to experience life at the Augustana Faculty and campus is to come and visit; we welcome visitors year round. If you don't get that chance, you can at least take a look at our buildings below.
Founders' Hall, fondly known as “Old Main”, is Augustana's signature campus landmark. Designed by the school’s first principal, J.P. Tandberg, the designated historic site was constructed in 1912. For decades, Founders' Hall was the school's only building, serving as classrooms, offices, dorms, library, kitchen and laundry facilities. The building now houses administrative offices and classrooms.
LIBRARY AND STUDENT FORUM
The Library and Student Forum are the most recent additions to Augustana Campus.
6-minute tour of the Library
The state of the art Augustana Campus Library, completed in 2009, is home to a collection of 130,000 titles, 100 computer workstations, a self-checkout circulation machine, a silent study room and several group work rooms.
The $34 million Student Forum was completed in 2010 and provides space for the Students’ Association, Augustana Bookstore, Café, academic and administrative offices and library.
FIRST YEAR COMPLEX
The First Year Dorms were initially known as Hoyme Hall. The building was constructed in 1964 and named for Inanda Hoyme, who attended high school at Augustana and later returned to teach here for 26 years.
The current layout is comprised of the East Hall for male students and the West Hall for female students and was opened in January 1987. All first-year Augustana students have the opportunity to live in these dorms.
The Ravine Complex is the senior student dorm and is comprised of six buildings that house a maximum of 46 students in each building - eight students per wing. Each dorm bears the name of an important individual in Augustana’s history: Anderson Hall, Bergh Hall, Marken Hall, Moi Hall, Ronning Hall and Solheim Hall.
Peter Anderson was elected the first secretary of the Alberta Norwegian Lutheran College Association, founded in 1910 to establish and operate the school.
Edwin Bergh taught commercial subjects at Augustana from 1925 to 1943 and was the school's business manager and treasurer for many years.
Edwin Marken taught mostly maths and sciences at Augustana for 36 years. He also served as Dean of boys for many years, choir director from 1942 to 1960, and as the principal.
Georg Moi taught at Augustana for 30 years, and was the principal for seven years. He was the first person at Augustana to be granted a full professorship.
Rev. Halvor Ronning, a pastor and a missionary to China, was the chief spokesperson for the Hauge Lutheran Synod when it joined with the United Lutheran Church in establishing the school.
Rev. Andrew Solheim, and his wife Mina, taught at Augustana from 1912 to 1927. He was the principal for the last nine years during his time here.
RAVINE CROSSING and OLE'S CROSSING
Connecting the Ravine Complex to the rest of campus stood Ole's Crossing, named after its designer/builder Orlando Olson. Many helped build and maintain the bridge over the years, and all who spent time on campus remember it fondly.
Ole's Crossing was replaced in 2009 with a sculpted earthen path, which includes an open gathering place for student barbecues, faculty functions or a lunch eaten outdoors.
THE REV. K. GLEN JOHNSON FAITH AND LIFE CENTRE
The Rev. K. Glen Johnson Faith & Life Centre, named for Augustana’s thirteenth and longest-serving president, opened in 1990. It contains offices, classrooms, a student lounge and the chapel that provides a space for worship, community gatherings and music recitals.
It connects to the Convocation Centre, which was completed in 1964 and houses the gymnasium, faculty offices, classrooms, and the cafeteria.
The Classroom Building, completed in 1960, houses classrooms, labs, and the Master of Science in Physical Therapy program.
The Classroom Building is connected to the Science Extension, completed in 1981, which contains faculty offices, a lecture theatre, and the biology, chemistry and physics labs.
The Theatre Centre, once the Camrose Lutheran Church, was constructed in 1927-28. It was converted into a performing arts centre prior to its move from downtown Camrose to the campus in 1992. In January 1993 the 100-seat theatre was ready to be utilized for performances. Faculty offices, classrooms, a set construction workshop, and a costume room are also housed within.
The Auxiliary Building was completed in the fall of 1986 and provides space for large art studios, faculty offices and classrooms.
One of Augustana’s hidden treasures, Ronning House sits just slightly north of the campus on 49th street – the original home of alumnus, former Augustana president and Canadian diplomat, Chester Ronning. The home was gifted to Augustana and currently holds the office of the Chester Ronning Centre for the Study of Religion and Public Life.
FACILITIES & OPERATIONS BUILDING
After over a decade working out of the Auxiliary Building, Facilities & Operations moved in to their own space in 2009. This structure on the south end of campus houses F&O office space and the maintenance shop.
MARTIN LUTHER STATUE
One of Augustana campus’ most memorable sights is a statue called The Young Luther that was unveiled in 1987 to mark Augustana’s 75th anniversary.
The statue of a young Martin Luther, book clasped to his chest with robes flapping, purposefully strides between the Classroom Building and the Faith & Life Centre.