Five-Year Combined Degrees Program
UAlberta Augustana and the Faculty of Education have introduced a new program that allows students to complete the requirements of both a B.Sc. and a B.Ed. degree in five years. This jointly-offered program is an alternative to the B.Sc. followed by a B.Ed. After-Degree (a six-year route).
The field experience components of this program will be fulfilled in a rural or small-city school placement.
Application for the program
Students apply to the Augustana Faculty for admission into the BSc/BEd (Secondary) Combined Degrees Program (Augustana), and will normally complete the first three years of the program at the Augustana Campus. Qualified students will then transfer to the Faculty of Education for the final two years of the program.
High school requirements
- English Language Arts 30-1
- Pure Mathematics 30 or Mathematics 30-1
- Two subjects from Group C: see additional requirements below for specific majors and minors
- One subject from Group A, B, C or Physical Education 30, Aboriginal Studies 30 or other approved 30-level subject.
- Biology 30, Chemistry 30, and/or Physics 30 are required for some majors or minors. See the Academic Calendar for details.
- For a minor in Music: Choral, a music questionnaire must be completed.
- For a minor in Second Languages: French or German, French 30 or German 30 are required.
All students in the Secondary Education Route must choose a Major teaching subject that prepares them for teaching in specific subjects of school instruction.
Students in the program will select a Major (42 credits plus supporting or prerequisite course) from the following areas:
- General Sciences:
- Environmental Science
- Mathematical Sciences:
- Computing Science
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Mathematics and Physics
- Mathematics and Physics
- Physical Sciences:
A minor can be taken in any subject.
A teaching minor (18 credits plus prerequisite courses in a minor you will be able to teach) is available in the following subjects:
- Art (Visual Art)
- English (Language Arts)
- General Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Music: Choral
- Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Physical Education
- Physical Sciences
- Second Languages (French, German, Spanish)
- Social Studies
Please note: With the BSc/BEd program, many of the student's courses will planned at the outset in order to fulfill all minimum degree requirements and teaching certifications within five years.
1. Core Requirements
Students in the BSc/BEd program will be required to complete the same liberal arts and sciences core requirements of a four-year B.Sc. degree program:
A. The Augustana Core: 15 credits from at least 3 of the following five categories, with no more than 6 credits in any one category.
- Integrating Knowledge
- Diversity and Global Studies
- Environmental Sustainability
- Experiential Learning
- Creative and Imaginative Process
B. The Breadth Requirements: 3 credits from Fine Arts and 6 credits each from the Humanities, Sciences and Social Sciences.
2. General Requirements
6 credits in language or literature, 3 credits in computing science or educational computing (AUEDC 202), and 3 credits in history, philosophy and theory of science.
3. Faculty of Education Requirements
AUEFX 200 and AUEPS 258 would normally be taken at the Augustana Campus during the first three years of the program. The remaining 42 credits would normally be taken while registered in the Faculty of Education in years 4 and 5 of the program.