Some Statistics on Music Graduates
Surveyed graduates of the Augustana Faculty indicate continued professional activities in music, attesting to the quality of degrees. Here are but some of the findings since 1985:
- 44% of surveyed graduates are employed as public school teachers.
- 20% of graduates with 4-year degrees have completed graduate programs.
- 21% of graduates with 4-year degrees have received employment at post-secondary institutions.
- 21% of graduates with 4-year degrees have completed certificate or diploma programs in music after their training at Augustana.
- the majority of employment histories of graduates are as professional choristers, singers, accompanists, conductors, church musicians, studio instructors, public school teachers, and post-secondary instructors.
Currently, we have over 50 students who are music majors. Some of the areas in which former students now distinguish themselves include:
- graduate degree programs in instrumental performance, choral conducting, musicology, ethnomusicology, and library science;
- music education in public schools;
- church musicians;
- private studio teachers;
- performing and recording artists (both classical and jazz) in Canada and beyond.
Former students of Augustana include internationally acclaimed baritone Nathan Berg, Mount Royal Youth Choir conductor Arlie Langager, classical pianist Susan Ward, and Vancouver's musica intima soprano Siri Olesen. In addition, a number of Augustana graduates have distinguished themselves as public school educators throughout Western Canada.