A Mandatory Instructional Support Fee (MISF) will be charged in addition to regular University of Alberta tuition. The estimated MIS fee for 2017 is $1950‐$2400.
The MIS fee includes the following:
- Student Visa for Cuba
- Ground transportation to/from Holguin Airport to Santiago
- Assistance in securing housing in Cuba
This fee also supports the Project Coordinator responsible for ongoing support and facilitation for the duration of the program.
The following costs are NOT included in the fee:
- University of Alberta tuition
- Canadian Passport
- Photos for Cuban student identification
- Return airfare to Cuba, including all taxes associated with air travel
- Food and accommodation for the duration of the program (minimum budget $15‐$25 per day)
- Travel immunizations as recommended by the public health nurse
- Travel Health Insurance and Trip Cancellation Insurance
- Phone and internet access while in Cuba
Students at the University of Alberta who are participating in the Santiago de Cuba program will receive a Study Abroad grant of $2150.
Passports and Visas
Each student participating in the program must have a passport that will remain valid six months after the completion of the program. Learning, Advising and Beyond will process the visas, but in order to do this we will need to have the passports of all students by late November of the year before the program. If you require your passport during Christmas Break, please notify L~A~B as soon as possible.
It is not advisable to carry large amounts of cash in Cuba. The most convenient and inexpensive way of obtaining cash in Cuba is through a cash advance on a Canadian credit card, Visa or MasterCard. It is advisable to arrange with your Canadian bank to have your credit card paid in full each month. It is also advisable to have two credit cards ‐ the electronic strips on credit cards sometimes malfunction.