Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to make an appointment to see my Academic Advisor or can I just drop in?

It is best to book an appointment in our online calendar, or stop by and our Administrative Assistant will help you book into the next available appointment slot.

How do I add or drop a course?

Before the add/drop deadline for that term: You can add or drop courses on your own in your Bear Tracks account.

After the deadline: You can only Withdraw from a course.

How do I withdraw from a course?

Any students registered in an Augustana Faculty program who want to withdraw from one or more courses, regardless of reason (illness, other obligations and so on), may do so through their Bear Tracks account.

See: Important Dates

I'm trying to enrol in a course in Bear Tracks and it won't let me. Why?

There are a number of factors to check:

  • Do you have the correct pre-requisite or co-requisite listed for the class?
  • Are there seats held for new students or students in a particular program?
  • Do you have any financial holds on your account?
  • Does the course require you to have Senior level status (at least 24 completed credits) and you are missing that?
If I want to take a Summer course on North Campus or another Institution such as Athabasca, what do I need to do?

You should be in touch with your Academic Advisor. You will need to make sure that the course you want to take will transfer back into your program, and fulfill a requirement.

You can look for courses outside of the U of A on the Alberta Transfer Guide website at: by searching for Transfer Agreements. Once you decide, request a Visiting Student Letter from your Advisor. Some Institutions will require the Visiting Student Letter to enroll you in the course. Make sure and allow 1-2 business weeks before requesting this from your Advisor as there is a process to complete the letter.

Once the Advisor has the letter back from the Interim Assistant Dean of Enrolment Management, they will email it to you and the copy will go in your file.

When you have completed the course, you will need to request the official and final transcript be sent to Student Academic Services so that we can assess it and move it into your program as per your letter.

What do I need to do to change my Major or Minor?

Students may request to have their Major/Minor changed by speaking to an advisor or emailing Students will then be sent a verification email to confirm the request prior to the change being made by the Student Academic Services. Please allow 3-5 business days for the change to appear in Bear Tracks.

How do I change my program? For example, changing from Bachelor of Science to Bachelor of Arts.

For a program change you need to fill out a re-admission application form. You can do so on the website or you can print off the application form and submit it to the Registrar's Office on Campus. The application will be processed and sent to Edmonton. You will then receive an admission letter to the new program which will include instructions on how to accept your new program in Bear Tracks.

How do I calculate my GPA?

Check out our online GPA calculators.

There are a number of different ways to calculate your GPA. For example, some Graduate programs may be looking at your last 60 or 90 credits completed, so you should know how you want to calculate your GPA.

I missed a final exam - what do I do?

Augustana students should apply for a deferred exam when they will

  1. not be able to write their exam at the scheduled time or
  2. have missed a final exam for the following reasons:
    • unforeseen circumstances
    • incapacitating mental and/or physical illness
    • severe domestic affliction, or
    • for circumstances as described in the University's Discrimination, Harassment and Duty to Accommodate Policy (including religious belief).
Complete this form to apply for an exam deferral