Private Functions FAQ

How much is the deposit and what forms of payment do you accept?
A 50% non-refundable deposit is required for all meeting space bookings. There are no exceptions. Payment can be made with Visa, MasterCard or debit.

If I book my function at the Garden and it rains/snows, am I entitled to a refund?
As all private functions booked at the University of Alberta Botanic Garden include a shelter for inclement weather, there are no refunds. There are no exceptions.

Can I serve alcohol at my function?
If you wish to serve alcohol at your function, you must obtain a licence (available where you purchase your beverages). Contact us for details.

What about catering for my function?
Functions at the Ikoi no ba and Ozawa Pavilion can be self-catered in the fully equipped kitchen, or you may choose from one of the Garden’s preferred caterers. There are no cooking or BBQ facilities at the Pine Pavilion or Lilac Tent. You may bring in your own self-contained, picnic-style food or arrange catering.

What kind of décor can I bring?
While many of our guests let the beauty of the Garden provide the décor, you are welcome to bring in additional items. There are some restrictions in the Ozawa Pavilion and Ikoi no ba, and getting the décor to your function site is also a consideration. Confetti and flower petals (real or artificial) are not permitted. Please contact us to discuss your décor plans.

How do my guests know where to go on the day of my function?
Upon booking, you will be provided with directions and instructions for parking and entry that you can share with your guests. We also provide directional signage to your function site to help your guests find their way.

Can I rent a golf cart for my function?
No. Golf carts cannot be rented by the public. A golf cart shuttle service is included in your rental fee to assist elderly and disabled guests get to and from the function site.

How can I get my equipment, décor, supplies, catering etc. to the function site?
Limited vehicle access on one of our service roads, for loading and unloading equipment and catering, can be arranged in advance with one of our rental coordinators.

What options do I have for music? Is there power in the Garden?

You can bring your own sound system. There is power at the Pine Pavilion, and near the Lilac Tent. You will need to bring your own power cords. The Ozawa Pavilion and Ikoi no ba are fully powered.

We can book a live musician for you. The University of Alberta Botanic Garden has access to some of the finest musicians in Edmonton, and can arrange the booking for you. Please contact us for more information.

You can hire your own musician(s). Please remind them that this is an outdoor facility, and that all instruments/equipment must be transported by foot or on a golf cart. Vehicles are not allowed in the Garden without advance permission. If your musicians require shelter, 10’x10’ white pop-up tents are available for an extra charge.

SOCAN licensing fees may apply to any function with live or recorded music.

Where are the washrooms located?

There are washrooms outside the Welcome Centre, as well as in the Aga Khan Garden. There are additional washrooms near the Pine Pavilion, on the east side of Collections zone. The Ozawa Pavilion and Ikoi no ba have washrooms.

Where are you located? Are you on the University of Alberta campus?
We are not located on the University of Alberta campus. The University of Alberta Botanic Garden is located in Parkland County - only 15 minutes from West Edmonton Mall or SW Edmonton (5 km north of Devon on Highway 60).

Do I get a discount if I am a University of Alberta employee or a student/alumni of the university?
Sorry, there are no discounts for private function rentals.

Contact Us
For more information or to schedule a consultation, contact our helpful Facility Rentals Team at: 780-492-3138 or email