Joel Gehman is the Alberta School of Business Chair in Free Enterprise and Associate Professor of Strategic Management and Organization. He is also Associate Director of the Canadian Centre for Corporate Social Responsibility.
He studies sustainability, innovation and strategy. In particular, he investigates how grand challenges related to sustainability and values affect organizational strategies, technology innovation, and institutional arrangements. And reciprocally, how organizations, innovation and institutions affect the emergence and trajectories of grand challenges related to sustainability and values.
In approaching these questions, Gehman draws primarily on organization theory, together with insights from strategic management, and science and technology studies. His work also takes a process perspective, focusing on the organization of concerns over place and time.
He is the investigator, co-investigator or recipient of more than $4 million in research funding. His ongoing research examines these issues in the context of technology entrepreneurship, B Corporations, sustainable food and wine, unconventional shale gas drilling, hydraulic fracturing patents, shareholder activism, multinational divestitures, social license to operate, cultural understandings of risk, and university technology spinouts, among others.
Before becoming a professor, Gehman spent 13 years in industry. He regularly advises and consults with diverse organizations. He graduated from Cornell University (B.S.) and the Pennsylvania State University (Ph.D.).
- Journal of Business Venturing, Field Editor
- Organization Theory, Associate Editor
- Academy of Management Journal, Editorial Board Member
- Administrative Science Quarterly, Editorial Board Member
- Innovation: Organization and Management, Editorial Board Member
- Organization Studies, Editorial Board Member
- Academy of Management, Organization and Management Theory Division, Representative-at-Large (2017-2020)
- Association of Science & Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta, Board Member (2017-present)
- University of Alberta, Faculty of Graduate Studies & Research, Graduate Scholarship Committee (2018-present)
- University of Alberta, Future Energy Systems, Communities and Aboriginal Peoples Theme Co-Champion (2016-present)