An eligible STEP student is:
- at least 15 years of age, by the STEP position start date;
- a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident or protected persons under the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and legally entitled to work and study in Canada;
Note: Students in other immigration categories (e.g. International Students and Temporary Foreign Workers) are not eligible for STEP.
Note: Students with a Social Insurance Number starting with nine (9), must provide documentation confirming that they are a protected person under the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act with valid work and study permits.
- an Alberta resident with an Alberta address and living and/or attending school in the province;
- attended a high school or a post-secondary institution in the previous Academic Year and is returning to school full time in the following year
Note: Eligible students must be enrolled in a program which will result in a credential (e.g. certificate, diploma, degree) and/or completing academic upgrading courses. Apprenticeship technical training programs are ineligible.
Note: Home schooled students are eligible, provided they are following the Alberta Program of Study and working towards a recognized Alberta credential (e.g. High School Diploma).
- available for full-time summer employment;
- only to participate in one STEP position per calendar year;
- not currently employed with the organization in a paid capacity; and
- not immediately related to organization’s owners or staff responsible for hiring.
Note: Immediate family includes but not limited to; spouse, common-law partner, adult interdependent partner, child (biological, step, adopted), parent, sibling, grandparents).
Note: staff responsible for hiring may include human resource representatives, interviewers, supervisors, management and owners.
- Full-time positions (defined as an average of 30 hours per week or more) for a minimum of four weeks to a maximum of 16 weeks in duration.
Note: There are more than 16 weeks from May 1 to Aug. 31, 2019.
- Funding is only available for STEP positions between May 1 and Aug. 31. If employers choose to hire a student after STEP approval but prior to May 1 or extend them beyond August 31, STEP funding cannot be used to subsidize those wages beyond the timeframes.
Note: Students hired before the STEP grant is approved are not eligible for any STEP funding.
- Each position belongs to one STEP student at a time. A position can be shared only if one student has quit and another takes over the position.
- Positions can be under any National Occupational Classification (0, A, B, C or D).