Focus on Family: Transition Planning Fundamentals
The Family Enterprise Xchange (FEX), in partnership with the Alberta Business Family Institute (ABFI), is offering a new one-day workshop
for families contemplating, beginning, or in the middle of transitioning the family enterprise to the next generation. The workshop will cover key
components that families would be wise to address and provide practical tools and resources to successfully navigate the transition process.
One of the key best practices for a successful transition is families communicating and working together. This full-day workshop is an opportunity
for all family members to participate together and learn together.
A snapshot of the topics covered include:
• How the 3 Circle Family Enterprise Model serves as a foundation to guide transition planning
• Employing family, business, and ownership governance structures to aid decision making and communication
• Using ‘transformational’ versus ‘transactional’ planning for transition success
• Overcoming the challenges of relinquishing control of the family business
• Creating commitment and engagement throughout the transition process
• Exploring personal and family values and how they impact decision making
• Developing a Family Constitution of guiding principles for the overall transition process
• Creating a Code of Conduct to facilitate constructive family discussions and communications
• Establishing and running effective family meetings to keep family members engaged and informed
• Knowing when and how to establish a board of advisors or board of directors
Shauna Feth, ABFI Executive Director and Family Enterprise Advisor (FEA), will facilitate the highly interactive session blending group discussions,
family case studies, online video resources and skill building exercises.
Workshop Fee Includes:
• Workshop materials
• Continental breakfast
• Networking break with snacks
DATES AND LOCATIONS TBD