Housing and Services

Jump to: Student Services | Insurance | U-Pass

Student Housing Information

The University of Alberta Residence Services provides on-campus housing for both undergraduate and graduate students, including those with families. Our communities offer convenient access to campus, the chance to live with your peers and programs that enhance social, academic and personal development.
Please visit www.residence.ualberta.ca for information about specific residences and residence rates.

Applications for on-campus housing must be submitted on-line, and applicants must have a University of Alberta student ID number, CCID (campus computing ID) and password in order to apply. These are only available after your the exchange application documents have been received and processed by the Alberta School of Business. Notice of ID number, password and CCID will be provided in an email from the University of Alberta once a student is entered into the admission system.

Please note that after students receive their ID number, password and CCID it may take another day or two before the Residence Services data base is updated and can receive housing applications.

Student Services

International Student Services
The International Centre and the Alberta School of Business International Office jointly provide various support services for exchange students to make their stay as enjoyable and problem-free as possible. An extensive 3-day orientation is arranged in late August, and a one-day orientation is arranged in early January to help new international students adjust to life and study at the U of A. Staff members are consistently available to help answer questions, discuss concerns and assist in resolving any issues students may have. International Student Services also provide helpful Welcome Services upon arrival and ways for interested students to get involved in the local community and facilitate interaction between international students and Canadians.

Also, for many useful resources on the culture, weather, academic style, clothing & food while at the University of Alberta, check out the International Student Services' Culture & Lifestyle Guide.

Academic Advising
Academic advising is available at the Alberta School of Business both prior to and during the term if required. International student advisors are also available at the International Centre.

Computer Services
Each exchange student is issued a University of Alberta campus computing ID and an email account upon admission. This allows access to email, the internet, library databases and general computing services. The UofA's wireless high-speed internet is available to students in most areas across campus, including the LRT platform.

Campus Facilities
The University issues a student identification (ID) card to all students, which provides access to Campus Recreation and Fitness Centres, libraries, photocopy & printing resources, campus laboratories, as well as a wide range of other academic and recreational facilities. Students will also be able to use the University Health Centre (UHC), a walk-in medical clinic with full physician, nursing, and pharmacy services.

Buddy Network
The Business Exchange Association (BEA) is a student association dedicated to assisting and integrating international students at the Alberta School of Business. The Association plans regular events and social gatherings throughout the semester which provide exchange participants with opportunities to mix with other students, make friends and have fun. In addition, the group organizes a "buddy" program, which connects incoming students to a Canadian student who can pick them up from the airport, help out with transportation and accommodation over the first few days in Edmonton, and be a resource for all sorts of assistance throughout the exchange term. For more information, please visit the BEA website at www.uofabea.com.


University of Alberta Health Insurance Plan (UAHIP)
All students attending the University of Alberta for less than 12 months who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents and who therefore do not have Alberta Health Care Insurance are required to participate in the University of Alberta Health Insurance Program (UAHIP) and to pay the required premiums to the University of Alberta for this health insurance. A waiver cannot be given for any other health insurance. Upon confirmation of registration at the University of Alberta, students will automatically be enrolled in UAHIP. A claim form must be completed at each visit by the patient and given to the physician for completion. The total premium for the semester must be paid upon arrival. This plan is administered by the International Centre, which can be reached at 492-2692. For more information on health insurance, please visit the International Student Services website.


The Universal Transit Pass (U-Pass) will give students unlimited access to regular Edmonton, St. Albert and Strathcona County Transit services for Fall (September - December) and Winter (January - April) academic terms. The U-Pass is a partnership between the University, the Students' Union, the Graduate Students' Association and the three participating municipalities. All students registered at the University of Alberta Edmonton Campuses are automatically enrolled in the U-Pass system. Fees are assessed and collected from exchange students by the International Centre upon arrival. Your University of Alberta Student Identification Card (ONEcard) with a U-Pass validation sticker is used as your transit pass. For more information, please visit the U-Pass Homepage.